0   0   0
Cheap medicine cabinet from Home Depot
IMG_7329.JPG

Niterunner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the organization of the plugs with the white outlets! Very clean! Is that a Kessil H80 peeping from the top of the picture? If it is how do you like it? I have one for my refugium and haven't be able to use it yet. And what are you growing as far as macro algae?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the organization of the plugs with the white outlets! Very clean! Is that a Kessil H80 peeping from the top of the picture? If it is how do you like it? I have one for my refugium and haven't be able to use it yet. And what are you growing as far as macro algae?

It has worked well thus far (been over the refugium for about five weeks now). It replaced a pair of 6500k CFLs that were over the refugium for the past year. I havent noticed any difference in growth between the two lights and now my entire stand isn't lit up so algae growth in the other sump chambers is way down (big difference for the skimmer and carbon reactor).

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for all of you experienced reefers: I am going to purchase an Apex here soon and I am hoping to mount most of it in my office closet about 12 feet away...I really don't want all the mess under my stand. I understand the energy bar has to be mounted close to the tank but can I mount everything else remotely? Are the cords long enough?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an old but inspirational thread. Of my two tanks, one was "an accident waiting to happen". All my controls were attached to side of stand (Apex, Vortechs, Apple Extreme, etc...) and the EB8s were in the stand which also houses my sump. Besides the rats nest of cables, my EB8s were exposed to any possible leaks and humidity. After reading through this thread I purchased an IKEA BESTA cabinet and pulled an "all nighter" (heck it's winter right?) What made this challenging - checking to make sure cables will reach (I did have to extend a couple) and my apex on this tank also controls another tank on our third floor - so it was kind of a balancing act when unplugging things. Few pics of progress.

cab door glass.JPG

cab door open.JPG

apex fusion.JPG

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an old but inspirational thread. Of my two tanks, one was "an accident waiting to happen". All my controls were attached to side of stand (Apex, Vortechs, Apple Extreme, etc...) and the EB8s were in the stand which also houses my sump. Besides the rats nest of cables, my EB8s were exposed to any possible leaks and humidity. After reading through this thread I purchased an IKEA BESTA cabinet and pulled an "all nighter" (heck it's winter right?) What made this challenging - checking to make sure cables will reach (I did have to extend a couple) and my apex on this tank also controls another tank on our third floor - so it was kind of a balancing act when unplugging things. Few pics of progress.

cab door glass.JPG

cab door open.JPG

apex fusion.JPG
Great work, very nice and neat. I’m considering a Besta cabinet as well. Would you mind showing the back of the cabinet? Or explaining how/where you have it mounted in a way that the contents are accessible?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work, very nice and neat. I’m considering a Besta cabinet as well. Would you mind showing the back of the cabinet? Or explaining how/where you have it mounted in a way that the contents are accessible?

I'm still working on cleaning up the internal wiring but I'll give you what I did.

I bought the 15" deep BESTA cabinet (easy to assemble) Then drilled four 2 1/2" in holes in rear for wire pass-through and airflow. I mounted 2 apex EB8s and 2 ecotech pwr supply holders on back wall (inside). Then I bought stock white shelf at Home Depot and had them cut it 22 1/2" x 22" for my control mounting board. I used square dowels top and bottom as support for my panel 7" forward of back wall. I mocked up where I wanted my controls then cut holes below each and used desk finishing pieces for a clean look on front. Mounted Apex's, vortex, Ipad and an Apple airport extreme (not in photo) The mounting board is velcro'd to the dowels and it swings out to left towards door so I have access to wiring, etc. When I finish internal clean-up I'll post more pics. I did all this this way to make it modular when I move and/or upgrade tanks.

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still working on cleaning up the internal wiring but I'll give you what I did.

I bought the 15" deep BESTA cabinet (easy to assemble) Then drilled four 2 1/2" in holes in rear for wire pass-through and airflow. I mounted 2 apex EB8s and 2 ecotech pwr supply holders on back wall (inside). Then I bought stock white shelf at Home Depot and had them cut it 22 1/2" x 22" for my control mounting board. I used square dowels top and bottom as support for my panel 7" forward of back wall. I mocked up where I wanted my controls then cut holes below each and used desk finishing pieces for a clean look on front. Mounted Apex's, vortex, Ipad and an Apple airport extreme (not in photo) The mounting board is velcro'd to the dowels and it swings out to left towards door so I have access to wiring, etc. When I finish internal clean-up I'll post more pics. I did all this this way to make it modular when I move and/or upgrade tanks.

Is that an IPad or IPad mini? I’m using a Fire Tablet but it won’t support the 3 columns for Fusion.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back