Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many do not want them.
Other think they are chromis.
Still others are afraid to add them.

I like to have a shoal of them and find it hard to choose.
So please post your nicest pictures of the damsel in your tank and indicate how many you keep.

Picture of one of my favorites (not my fish)

Springeri damsel.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't got any great photos at the moment due to a recent hard-drive crash, but I've got three species of Chrysiptera in my 220 gallon tank. Two Talbot's damsels (old-rose pink/purple with a gold cap and black ocellus), three azure damsels (blue above, yellow below) and a trio of Rolland's damselfish (white with a diagonal black bar and clear yellow cap). Both trios are one male/two females, so I wonder if they adjust their genders, somewhat as clownfish do? - and both of those males are tending a plaque of eggs pretty much constantly. They mostly keep their tiffing amongst themselves, and ignore their tankmates - although the male azure will attack my hand if I get too near his nest.

~Bruce

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best pic I have currently. I got this trio from Divers Den last week. They are Lemon Damsels. I was hoping they might be less aggressive than the various blue species that seem to be uniformly evil. Hopefully since they came as a trio they are not going to kill each other!? They are in my QT now with a foxface. I'll try to get a better pic. They are really pretty.
IMG_4316.JPG

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info and lovely picture @Dmsick

@Maritimer
Did you add the damsel at the same time? As the last fish?

Hope many will follow.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 springeri that are very peaceful. That's the pic you posted. They do not shoal. They've split up the tank 5 ways and are seldom seen together. They were added at the same time.

U

User1

View Badges
Many do not want them.
Other think they are chromis.
Still others are afraid to add them.

I like to have a shoal of them and find it hard to choose.
So please post your nicest pictures of the damsel in your tank and indicate how many you keep.

Picture of one of my favorites (not my fish)

Springeri damsel.jpg

Was going to say Jewel Damsel but I don't think so. In any case the Jewel is very pretty young but do not hold that color or so I've heard. You can't go wrong with anything in the Chrysiptera species. They are typically more calm. I've had Talbots and Azures. Down to Azures now though.

Waiting for @ca1ore to see this - he has a zillion Damsels in his tank :D

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, around 40 chrysiptera - mostly yellow tails, with a few azures and Rolland's in the mix. I also have what I thought were talbots, but not so sure anymore. They are a bit chippy within their own species, but ignore everyone else. I think the mostly bad rep damsels get are due to domino, 3-stripe, etc. Those lemons are nice.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, around 40 chrysiptera - mostly yellow tails, with a few azures and Rolland's in the mix. I also have what I thought were talbots, but not so sure anymore. They are a bit chippy within their own species, but ignore everyone else. I think the mostly bad rep damsels get are due to domino, 3-stripe, etc. Those lemons are nice.
40 in one tank?
How big is the tank?
Will search your tread to find out more.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's big ..... nominally a 450 (gallons not liters). Lots of pictures in my build thread, Simon's 450.

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took about twenty pics to get this one as the best. I don’t remember the type these two are. Cobolt is darker, larger and dominant with his fin up all day and Lapiz is a little lighter and smaller. Got them to eradicate a plague of flatworms and they have gotten the population down a bit. They aren’t the bosses of the tank, that’s the clowns and bicolour Blenny. They got pushed around for the first 48 hours but will stand up to the others now but without being aggressive about it. More like they just hold their ground and the clowns are accepting now. I was very dubious about getting them and hubby said ‘don’t name them because then you’ll get attached, they are here to get the flat worms then they are going.’ Yeah too late.

image.jpg

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love damsels, you need to do your homework to get the right species and they will reward you with a stunning display. These pictures are from a previous incarnation of my tank-
30910retro.jpg
30910greenchromis.jpg
30910hahchromis.jpg
30910damsel.jpg

The cloud is made up of green chromis, BlackTailed Chromis (C.Nigrura), half and half Chromis (C.Iomelas) and yellowtailed Damioselles (Neopomacentrus azysron) and a couple of Vandervelts chromis.
chromis01.jpg

and finally, for me, a very special damsel- this was the best picture of it I had. Sadly I lost them when my tank crashed a few years ago and haven't be able to source them since
damsel28.jpg

Last edited:

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love damsels, you need to do your homework to get the right species and they will reward you with a stunning display. These pictures are from a previous incarnation of my tank-

30910retro-jpg.485451

30910hahchromis-jpg.485453

I had 23 of these
30910greenchromis-jpg.485454

30910damsel-jpg.485455

I thought they looked good as a 'cloud'
chromis01-jpg.422018

And a very special Damselfish- sorry this is the best picture I have of them
fusilier-20damsel02-jpg.345906

I can’t see any of the pics on the R2R app [emoji24]

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back