Shut that Skimmer Down! Over skimming your tank.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this site, but it's in desperate need of an "advanced" forum just for threads like this.

There are some ~2500 different species of "coral". We divide them into different "species", because they have evolved to occupy different niches in the environment. Meaning that their environmental demands can vary greatly from one species to another.

IMHO, R2R in it's whole is so much more advanced and towers above all the rest, no need to separate.
If you join R2R you know you get the best of all best and if you mess up we turn you into..................... Skim-mate :(

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, R2R in it's whole is so much more advanced and towers above all the rest, no need to separate.
If you join R2R you know you get the best of all best and if you mess up we turn you into..................... Skim-mate :(
That was awesome!!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes the bigger the better!
Check out my skimmer on an 80g system lol
And running 100% ;)

Check the spec
Air intake Max: 2000 lph

Tank size 300-2500 L (125-645 gallons)

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a scientist so can some tell me what this means?

Conclusions
The chemical/elemental composition of skimmate generated by an H&S 200-1260 skimmer on a 175-gallon reef tank over the course of several days or a week had some surprises. Only a minor amount of the skimmate (solid + liquid) could be attributed to organic carbon (TOC); about 29%, and most of that material was not water soluble, i.e., was not dissolved organic carbon. The majority of the recovered skimmate solid, apart from the commons ions of seawater, was CaCO3, MgCO3, and SiO2 - inorganic compounds! The origin of these species is not known with certainity, but a good case can be made that the SiO2 stems from the shells of diatoms. The CaCO3 might be derived from other planktonic microbes bearing calcium carbonate shells, or might come from calcium reactor effluent. To the extent that the solid skimmate consists of microflora, then some proportion of the insoluble organic material removed by skimming would then simply be the organic components (the "guts") of these microflora. These microflora do concentrate P, N, and C nutrients from the water column, and so their removal via skimming does constitute a means of nutrient export.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger the skimmer, the better.

so. im playing devils advocate. so dont get me wrong. (i like challenging the status quo)

what skimmer would you recommend i get for my 265 / 80 fuge?

also. what will adding that skimmer do for me?

i already have a nitrate and po4 deficit. will it drop it even faster?

im not against skimmers. so please dont think im trying to convince anyone of that. you know your own systems better than any forum could tell you.

but if you know my system well enough to find the correct skimmer for me. you better tell me my alk, calcium, mag, potassium, etc.

point is, i cant tell anyone they dont need a skimmer as much as you cant tell me i do.
it is not as crucial as lets say... ~1.025 sg water.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Conclusions
The chemical/elemental composition of skimmate generated by an H&S 200-1260 skimmer on a 175-gallon reef tank over the course of several days or a week had some surprises. Only a minor amount of the skimmate (solid + liquid) could be attributed to organic carbon (TOC); about 29%, and most of that material was not water soluble, i.e., was not dissolved organic carbon. The majority of the recovered skimmate solid, apart from the commons ions of seawater, was CaCO3, MgCO3, and SiO2 - inorganic compounds! The origin of these species is not known with certainity, but a good case can be made that the SiO2 stems from the shells of diatoms. The CaCO3 might be derived from other planktonic microbes bearing calcium carbonate shells, or might come from calcium reactor effluent. To the extent that the solid skimmate consists of microflora, then some proportion of the insoluble organic material removed by skimming would then simply be the organic components (the "guts") of these microflora. These microflora do concentrate P, N, and C nutrients from the water column, and so their removal via skimming does constitute a means of nutrient export.
You would have to ask Randy he is the chemist!
I understand what it is saying but would be hard to explain in a way it is understandable.
Thanks for reading it!

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Conclusions
it states 29% of skimmate is gooey life. of that gooey life they hold concentrations of nitrogen, phosphate, and carbon. so they do remove nutrients.

the rest is calcium carbonate and the like (not organic life) (calcium shells/rock/media)

in a nutshell

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Conclusions

Simple............. it means you have to empty and clean your skimmer cup.

By all means we can go into chemistry terms on every topic or subject but it won't change the basics.
We all know in what kind of parameters our fish and corals will be happy and we try to stay close within the boundaries.
Some have great results with 0.02 and others again with 0.2 Po4.
Skimmers are skimmers and they all do the same thing, some better than others but that's up to the user as it will be his experience.
When something goes wrong than we all are lucky to be part of a forum like this that there are awesome members that would try to get a understanding about the system at trouble to reach out a helping hand.

Now I'm going to have to empty my own skimmer, what ever I eat yesterday at midnight made my Po4 go sky-rocketing :(

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it states 29% of skimmate is gooey life. of that gooey life they hold concentrations of nitrogen, phosphate, and carbon. so they do remove nutrients.

the rest is calcium carbonate and the like (not organic life) (calcium shells/rock/media)

in a nutshell

I told you so, all though it was last year but it won't matter (see post #36)

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is something from Randy's article.

Hence, skimming may effectively lower the concentrations of nitrate and phosphate that may otherwise build up in an aquarium, by exporting the organics that are often precursors to some portion of the nitrate and phosphate present in aquarium water.
Phosphate also may be incorporated into certain inorganic particulates, such as calcium carbonate (CaCO3), which could be skimmed if they were coated with organics. Of course, calcium and possibly magnesium in these particulates are also removed. Ammonia might be blown off into the air in a skimmer because it is always in equilibrium with atmospheric ammonia gas, and strong aeration will eliminate some of it.
Many of the ions that aquarists are most concerned with are not appreciably impacted by skimming because they do not adsorb onto an air water interface, and are not primarily bound to organics. These include calcium, magnesium, strontium, bicarbonate and carbonate (alkalinity) and silicate. In addition, none of the other major seawater ions will be impacted by skimming, including chloride, sodium, sulfate, fluoride, bromide (except as organobromine compounds), borate and potassium.

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need someone to answer this question, do we skim, partial skim or not at all? Also, please explain your answer like I am 5 years old, thanks.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need someone to answer this question, do we skim, partial skim or not at all? Also, please explain your answer like I am 5 years old, thanks.

I think that you already know the answer.
If I was 5 and read through this thread I would put all my LEGO's, Hotwheels and iPhone 6s+ on Ebay to get me a great Skimmer ASAP.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant partial skim as turn it off for 5 hours a day or so.

again... homogenous. whether you turn it on or off will not change the composition as a whole.

even if you cleaned out all organics. leaving it off for a few hours will not accumulate enough material imho. - i could be wrong!

just doesnt make sense

reminds me of the day when experts were convincing us of "dwell time". oh boy....

i got flamed for chuckling at that too

and then there was skimmer matching for returns... oh man. i am so glad i got off that skimmer bandwagon.

Last edited:

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, all this talk just caused my skimmer to overflow my 5 gallon jug, lucky the ALD on my Apex alerted me and shut it off. My question now is did one of you do this?:p

Now I'm going to have to empty my own skimmer, what ever I eat yesterday at midnight made my Po4 go sky-rocketing :(

Haha, best and most important comment in this thread!:rolleyes:

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
again... homogenous. whether you turn it on or off will not change the composition as a whole.

even if you cleaned out all organics. leaving it off for a few hours will not accumulate enough material imho. - i could be wrong!

just doesnt make sense

reminds me of the day when experts were convincing us of "dwell time". oh boy....

i got flamed for chuckling at that too
Scratching my head on this one Russ

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • Full frame

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back