Sick 10" Mata Tang. Help!

curt2199

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 10" mata tang that went into QT about 2 weeks ago and appeared to have a crypto or velvet outbreak with what also appeared to be black ich (black specs). He has been on cupramine and prazi pro for roughly 2 days now and his condition has changed but not necessarily improved. He has actually been more active today however he is still breathing rapidly and has a dark black/green film on him. I am at a loss as to what to do next. I'm not sure what this film is or is a symptom of.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411942119.196792.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411942133.347380.jpg

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your QT tank set up for hyposalinity?
If not I would slowly add fresh DI water over a few hours to lower salinity down to 0.009 SG to help combat the external parasites and bacterial infections.

Good luck!

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your QT tank set up for hyposalinity?
If not I would slowly add fresh DI water over a few hours to lower salinity down to 0.009 SG to help combat the external parasites and bacterial infections.

Good luck!
Careful... OP is running cupramine. You never want to do hypo and copper at the same time. One or the other. And to lower salinity, you need to replace salt water with DI water, not just add it. I'm sure that's what you meant, just wanted to clarify.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful... OP is running cupramine. You never want to do hypo and copper at the same time. One or the other. And to lower salinity, you need to replace salt water with DI water, not just add it. I'm sure that's what you meant, just wanted to clarify.

I never use copper so did not know there was a problem diluting with DI water when using copper treatments so thanks for chiming in.
Yes....slowly replace saltwater with fresh until salinity gets down to that magic 0.009 SG if going with hypo.

OP
OP
C

curt2199

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already had it at 1.012-13. I went ahead and did a water change tonight and brought it down to 1.009-1.010 but he began rolling to his side having difficulty staying upright. I'm afraid he won't make it through the night. Really wish I could figure out what this is.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one else thinks it looks like HLLE?

I am not experienced enough with marine diseases to confirm, but yes, it does like like HLLE to me. If its not, than my guess would be a bacterial infection. Either way, I don't see either curamine or hypo helping. I would strongly consider running filter floss or Cuprisorb to absorb the copper, and slowly raising salinity. Once salinity is back to a "normal range", I would try to confirm the diagnoses and treat from there. You may end up dosing a broad spectrum medicine such as API General Cure. But again someone with more experience will need to chime in.

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not experienced enough with marine diseases to confirm, but yes, it does like like HLLE to me. If its not, than my guess would be a bacterial infection. Either way, I don't see either curamine or hypo helping. I would strongly consider running filter floss or Cuprisorb to absorb the copper, and slowly raising salinity. Once salinity is back to a "normal range", I would try to confirm the diagnoses and treat from there. You may end up dosing a broad spectrum medicine such as API General Cure. But again someone with more experience will need to chime in.

I've been reading a lot on HLLE because my Desjardini Sailfin just started showing signs of it. And I don't think any of the treatments that he is doing are going to help either...probably just stressing the fish out more. If it is HLLE then there is no definite treatment...there are a lot of speculated reasons why fish get it but no definite answers. In my case I'm going to try and change out my carbon and clean the carbon powder off of the bottom of my sump...I just started using Chemi-pure Elite on my new tank and it is very powdery and can seep out of the nylon bag which some people believe can cause HLLE.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back