Sick Clown. Help needed

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. She’s acting normal.
Ok so that rules out that she is also sick. Does she always stay in that corner with him? Clown’s aggression usually isn’t bad unless they lock jaws or one chases the other one endlessly, which could happen all of a sudden for reasons unknown to us & that alone can stress out the fish so much that it becomes seriously I’ll without any visible damage.

OP
OP
kdsmithey

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can- hermits will hone in on him at night. I have 4 breeder pairs and they do not behave like this- its likely aggression which you have noticed already
@vetteguy53081 can you please provide your opinion on this video? The clown has been primarily laying on its left side, so I was not able to see this. Upon moving into the acclimation box, I noticed these markings on the gills.

OP
OP
kdsmithey

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so that rules out that she is also sick. Does she always stay in that corner with him? Clown’s aggression usually isn’t bad unless they lock jaws or one chases the other one endlessly, which could happen all of a sudden for reasons unknown to us & that alone can stress out the fish so much that it becomes seriously I’ll without any visible damage.
No, this corner is opposite from their normal area. She is primarily on the opposite end in their typical spot, but occasionally comes over to him. I just added a new video on my response above where I can see something on his gills. It’s only on the one side, which he has been consistently laying on.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, this corner is opposite from their normal area. She is primarily on the opposite end in their typical spot, but occasionally comes over to him. I just added a new video on my response above where I can see something on his gills. It’s only on the one side, which he has been consistently laying on.
It’s hard to see what you see on that gill. If there is something on it, then it’s a parasite which I believe is more likely to be gill fluke than anything else given the time frame and what you have already described. Prazipro is the way to go now but you need to aerate the water heavily and take the skimmer cap off. Also need to turn your UV off if you got one and remove all chemical filter. With those said, i think it’s already too late for him but you got to worry about others

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@vetteguy53081 can you please provide your opinion on this video? The clown has been primarily laying on its left side, so I was not able to see this. Upon moving into the acclimation box, I noticed these markings on the gills.

Forget PraziPro. This fish is moribund and this is not a worm or fluke issue. Not a UV issue either. At the stage of moribund, a fish rarely recovers and there is no medication that can be recommended to get this fish up and running sad to say

OP
OP
kdsmithey

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best picture I could get. It looks more like a wound to me, but I could be wrong. Can see 2 marks on the gills
IMG_3101.jpeg

OP
OP
kdsmithey

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget PraziPro. This fish is moribund and this is not a worm or fluke issue. Not a UV issue either. At the stage of moribund, a fish rarely recovers and there is no medication that can be recommended to get this fish up and running sad to say
Thank you. I was worried that’s the case. Huge bummer

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a diamond watchman 2 weeks ago that the clowns killed in less than 24 hours. I also added a sea cucumber 9 days ago. I did not QT either. Prior to that, nothing other than an urchin added in the last 3 months.

I will go ahead separate them. To note, the female is not staying with him all the time. She comes over periodically and nudges him, but she is primarily in the area of the tank they host, which is the opposite end to where he’s laying.

Just a side note - the female clown is breathing too fast in the video as well. I think they both have issues, with just the male showing it worse.

Jay

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a side note - the female clown is breathing too fast in the video as well. I think they both have issues, with just the male showing it worse.

Jay
I thought so too so I asked. The OP needs to worry about other livestock in the DT.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best picture I could get. It looks more like a wound to me, but I could be wrong. Can see 2 marks on the gills
IMG_3101.jpeg
This tells me that he was trying to scratch something off. My bet is gill flukes which is contagious to your other fish.

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first post doesn't look like aggression to me, it looks like hey come on get up and keep moving we live on the other side of the tank and I am not doing this alone.
I would try the Prazipro what can it hurt, it might save the rest of your fish if it's Flukes.

OP
OP
kdsmithey

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
She was definitely breathing heavy in that video, but has not been since. That was taken last night around 10pm when I noticed him on his side. At that point I turned the lights on in the room waking up all the fish and this was her reaction. I assumed her heavy breathing was stress related, especially since it has not continued today.

What sort of action do you suggest I take?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a video of how she is acting now. She thinks I’m feeding.

As I had mentioned, I think this clown is breathing fast and is swimming with a "stiff" body. I'm not sure how serious this is, or what can be done about it. The fish may just be obese, I know that causes me to move stiffly and breath hard (grin).

Jay

OP
OP
kdsmithey

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I had mentioned, I think this clown is breathing fast and is swimming with a "stiff" body. I'm not sure how serious this is, or what can be done about it. The fish may just be obese, I know that causes me to move stiffly and breath hard (grin).

Jay
Thank you for the reply. I’ll see what happens over the next few hours.

OP
OP
kdsmithey

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I can now see what looks like a chunk taken off of his gill. Can see it best in this new video.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kdsmithey

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I can now see what looks like a chunk taken off of his gill. Can see it best in this new video.

OP
OP
kdsmithey

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

Back