Sick Clown? Please help, looks really bad

dasteve003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 small clown fish (about an inch long) I've had for about 2 weeks in a QT tank. ammonia, ph, nitrate and nitrite levels are good, clown stopped eating and basically went down hill pretty badly all in a day, thought temp may have been cold so I raised it to 80 from 77.5. One clown just lays on its side onthe bottom of the tank, it can swim but seems like it just wants to lay there on its side, its gills around its mouth are contalty going pretty quickly like its having trouble trying to breathe or soemthing. Is there something internally wrong cause I'm clueless and feel so bad for the little thing its basically been on the bottom like that since late last night. The other clown really seems pretty normal.

Any ideas or thoughts? There is no real outward appearance of anything other then a slight paleness that I see to identify ich or anything else.

Reefkeepr1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First if your temp. Was raised quick you just caused your fish to stress even more due to rapid temp change!!
And it may have a disease you just need to look at the fish for white spots on fins or body of the fish?? To me it seems like your fish may be at the last stage of ich?? (did it start off as white spots on fins?)
You must try and diagnose your fish and find out what the disease may be??
There are many things that can cause fish to get sick
Like bad water params,oxygen starvation,shift in water quality and temp.,shipping and transferring it to its new home and much more if possible please send pics ASAP and we may be able to help a lot better because I can't help without looking at it and giving advice??
It sounds like the fish is Degrading very fast so try and reply as quick as possible with a pic. That is pretty clear for us to help out??

OP
OP
D

dasteve003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no white spots and I have seen ich and no what to look for, the other fish is fine and even showing concern for its buddy. It's just laying on the bottom of the tank, slightly pale and looking to have trouble breathing. I can't really get a pic as its on it side and I'm really not sure it would help. Again the other fish is fine and it is not ich, any other ideas. It wasn in the tank for 9 days with no issues then all of a sudden this started happening pretty quickly.

I could put it in my DT tank but if its sick doesn't that spread in there (although it currently doesnt have any fish in it)

Reefkeepr1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not gonna lie I have kept fish in my display that has had ick and it went away over time (I do have cleaner shrimps,25watt UV light for any free floating parasites) and so far I have been lucky with this very risky method but honestly if there is no other fish in the DT I would put him in there and hope for the best if he seems to be gasping for oxygen in my experience it's either a gill type of disease, Ammonia spike, or lack of oxygen it's getting!! IMO I would keep those two fish separated for risk of Transferring it to the other clown?? Can you test water and give us numbers of your parameters?
Do you have any other type of livestock in the DT tank corals, and or inverts?? How long has the tank been Cycling, Did you add any new rock during these 9 days before and or after fish were in? Doing so may have caused an ammonia spike?? I'm sorry I don't have a clear answer but I'm just trying to break down other problems that may have caused this to happen??

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 90 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 69 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 30 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back