Sick Clownfish?

EB707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed last night that one of my Clowns was behaving strangely. It was rubbing on the sand every once in a while. I didn’t notice anything strange about its appearance. However this morning I noticed what might be small white spots on its back and it is hanging out behind the rocks on the sand. What do you think is going on and what should I do? I have attached a link for a video I took this morning.

Last edited:

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely see the spots you're talking about, and the clown appears to be breathing quite fast. You've come to the right place, some treatment experts will chime in soon!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I noticed last night that one of my Clowns was behaving strangely. It was rubbing on the sand every once in a while. I didn’t notice anything strange about its appearance. However this morning I noticed what might be small white spots on its back and it is hanging out behind the rocks on the sand. What do you think is going on and what should I do? I have attached a link for a video I took this morning.

Looks like secondary bacterial lesions and may or may not be associated with brooklynella diseases fish eating and breathing normal
Swimming behavior also seems off and a freshwater dip may help but safely would be ruby rally pro which is reef safe

OP
OP
EB707

EB707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like secondary bacterial lesions and may or may not be associated with brooklynella diseases fish eating and breathing normal
Swimming behavior also seems off and a freshwater dip may help but safely would be ruby rally pro which is reef safe
Ok. So would you recommend setting up a quarantine tank to treat this clown or should I just treat my main tank. Currently I don’t have any corals, just about 5 fish and a CUC consisting of snails and a few hermit and emerald crabs.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try the freshwater dip first and see how he responds. If that cures the issue, you may not have to worry about chemical treatment. Since the product that vetteguy recommended is reef safe, you'd be fine to treat in your display: https://amzn.to/3K3kUuI

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok. So would you recommend setting up a quarantine tank to treat this clown or should I just treat my main tank. Currently I don’t have any corals, just about 5 fish and a CUC consisting of snails and a few hermit and emerald crabs.
You can and you can also safely treat in tank with ruby rally pro as mentioned

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. I just ordered a bottle on Amazon. Forgive my ignorance( I’m very new to this) but how would I go about doing a freshwater dip?
Here is a detailed guide for you: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

With that in mind, I have dipped my clownfish in the past for flukes (with successful outcome). What I did was get a clean ziplock baggie, fill it with RO/DI water, and roll the edge of it over the glass of the interior corner of the tank so it is secure and can match the temperature of the tank. wait 15-20 mins or so to let the temp match, you can use this time to catch the little bugger. Net him out of the tank and into the RO/DI baggie, and start a timer for 5 minutes. When time is up, net him back into the tank, and dispose of the RO/DI. You may or may not see dead parasites/organisms in the baggie that have fallen off the fish.

OP
OP
EB707

EB707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a detailed guide for you: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

With that in mind, I have dipped my clownfish in the past for flukes (with successful outcome). What I did was get a clean ziplock baggie, fill it with RO/DI water, and roll the edge of it over the glass of the interior corner of the tank so it is secure and can match the temperature of the tank. wait 15-20 mins or so to let the temp match, you can use this time to catch the little bugger. Net him out of the tank and into the RO/DI baggie, and start a timer for 5 minutes. When time is up, net him back into the tank, and dispose of the RO/DI. You may or may not see dead parasites/organisms in the baggie that have fallen off the fish.
Perfect. Here is a close up picture. You can clearly see the white spot near its eye.

Attachments

• IMG_2193.jpeg
    IMG_2193.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2194.jpeg
    IMG_2194.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2195.jpeg
    IMG_2195.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 9

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Perfect. I just ordered a bottle on Amazon. Forgive my ignorance( I’m very new to this) but how would I go about doing a freshwater dip?
You dont want to do freshwater dip if clown is breathing heavy. It will stress the fish further

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
After 5 minute freshwater dip.

Still breathing heavy but will have lessened any mucus production and buy some time until medicated

OP
OP
EB707

EB707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still breathing heavy but will have lessened any mucus production and buy some time until medicated
Ok so Ruby Rally Pro is still the best course of action? I ordered a bottle and should arrive tomorrow morning. Is this early Brooklynella? I really appreciate the help you are giving.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok so Ruby Rally Pro is still the best course of action? I ordered a bottle and should arrive tomorrow morning. Is this early Brooklynella? I really appreciate the help you are giving.
Possibly and ruby will address Brook, bacterial, fungal, flukes, and many other issues and safely

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd try the freshwater dip first and see how he responds. If that cures the issue, you may not have to worry about chemical treatment. Since the product that vetteguy recommended is reef safe, you'd be fine to treat in your display: https://amzn.to/3K3kUuI
fWIW - there are very few, If any, diseases/illnesses that are cured by a freshwater dip. Some may be slowed down, however.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds good. I think I’m going to go ahead and dose the display tank so I might catch any other fish that may get sick. Thank you for your help.
Good - luck - I meant to comment and forgot - it sounds like you have a good plan.

OP
OP
EB707

EB707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update - this morning was the second dose of Ruby Reef Rally Pro. My 2nd clown had started showing some of the same behaviors of flashing and had what looked like some white spots. After providing the first dose of Rally Pro both clowns were showing really weird behavior and it almost looked like they were having spasms. That behavior has stopped and their appearance looks better to me. Is their breathing rate looking more normal?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breathing rate appears to have slowed, but the way they are sporadically gaping their mouths/yawning makes me suspect a lack of oxygen. Do you have sufficient surface agitation for gas exchange?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back