Sick Heniochus Butterfly or just a scratch?

MWinchell13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I purchased 2 heniochus butterflies over the weekend as one looked more like a diphuertes than the other. They're currently in a 90 Gallon with a 50 gallon sump. Current parameters are 0 NH3 0 NO2 and less than 5 ppm NO3-. All other fish are really healthy and this particular fish has had no trouble eating (I feed once daily frozen and twice-daily small high-quality pellets to keep the butterflies healthy if this is too much let me know how to adjust). Yesterday I noticed what I thought was a small scratch on the larger diphuertes looking heniochus so I mostly ignored it since I noticed he didn't seem to get along well with my Nox Angel. However, today he has scratches on both sides and the other heniochus seems to be picking at them. He came out to greet me as soon as I got home, but he is usually already out so I was confused why he wasn't with the other heniochus. I'm not sure if this is a disease, a case of him scratching himself, or if there's bullying I cannot see.

First pic is of both, and other pics are of (what I think is) the diphuertes.

IEGJ5371.JPG IMG_5662.JPG IMG_5663.JPG IMG_5665.JPG

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pics, but looks like scratches to me. Any fin damage? How does he look and act today?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 46 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back