SIGNS OF CLOWNFISH SPAWNING?

fishfinatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have 2 true percs currently in a 10g, all water parameters are well, however my two clowns have been showing weird signs, my female with the incomplete band has a big belly and is occasionally nipping at my male. They’re paired and honestly happy from what I can tell, however they both have a little brown spike coming out of their lower abdomen or anus I guess. I’ll provide a pic. I was just curious if I should be expecting fry, or are my fish potentially sick? Female has been pooing white string and has been laying in the anemone most often, male is swimming around the tank occasionally stirring sand. They both come up to greet me when I offer food and will eat.
8B94532F-C880-4CDD-BE5C-6E9CE5F2D39C.jpeg
1E826814-E4D7-4ABE-A55C-8F6469DDDCC5.jpeg
If you look closely you can see the brown spike in both of them. Thanks!
67F9FDA1-1A84-43A5-92EF-58F57C7D9873.jpeg
here’s a pic of her poo rn

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fishfinatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have they started nipping at any specific points in the tank and/or started defending that area from other tankmates?
Haven’t noticed them picking at any points yet, occasionally the male will twitch and maybe check out the live rock, but for the most part they’re just swimming. I have one spotted mandarin, but when he gets close they don’t seem to mind him

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you jumped the gun then on thinking they’ll give you babies in the near future. Although you might want to post in the fish disease forum for help with diagnosing any potential illnesses...

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The high speed twitching / juddering is a good indicator of breeding behaviour. They will meticulously clean a spot on a rock, tank wall or ornament for laying and fertilising their eggs.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning a specific site non stop most of the day is typically the best sign. The aggression and one nipping the other which goes into submissive shaking is a good sign of pairing but not necessarily a sign of a coming spawn. They take time to mature and start spawning even if mated.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back