Sitting at the airport waiting to pick up 200lbs of kp aquatics premium live rock how exciting !!!!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as the title says I’m waiting in my truck for 200lbs of kp rock to be unloaded from airplane. I haven’t ordered live rock in 12 years so I’m very excited. I made my decision to go with kp due to all the great reviews on this fourm. All 200lbs are going into my 10 year old 350 gallon system because I feel my bio diversity over time has been drastically lowered and or killed from my neglect of many years of not knowing what I was doing. I’ve set up a separate 80 gallon frag tank that will be completely filled and only used for filtration and bio diversity straight from ocean. I’ve heard this is what tanks with old tank syndrome need to start doing better again. I have tried bottles bacteria with not much success so figured can’t get any better then this.
so with that being said I e set up a 100 gallon horse troff to cure the rock a little beacaue I know there will be some die off and I will have a 40 gallon Breeder plum to it with a motion sensed WebCam that I will be inspecting all the rocks for unwanted hitchhikers before placing into the 80 gallon frag tank in my system. So far all I have is pictures of the empty hundred gallon container waiting for me to come home in a couple hours.
3D9D1035-66BC-4DBB-878A-B074208180C6.jpeg
793FD021-C371-441D-A08D-45E6B8ADFC6A.jpeg
D651283E-A2DA-4813-B40A-861396EA706E.jpeg

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! :)

KP rocks gave me fireworms and mantis shrimp. Beware. QT the rocks.

But the rocks also gave me beautiful sponges, feather dusters, dark red coralline, brittle stars, pistol shrimp, micro organisms, and biodiversity. One of my best purchases IMO.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But the rocks also gave me beautiful sponges, feather dusters, dark red coralline, brittle stars, pistol shrimp, micro organisms, and biodiversity. One of my best purchases IMO.
Yes that’s what the hundred gallon trough is for and the 40 gallon breeder tank connected to it so I can watch from all four sides each rock individually with a WebCam check in for motion so I can go through each rock individually before I place them in my system

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The bio diversity is what I’m really looking for to kickstart my old system and give it some new life

Avel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the picture of the fireworm.
I think I have them too. I had like 20 heads of a zoa frag reduced to like 5. I saw bristlesworms around it. But one of them looks exactly like your picture.
So I'm pretty sure the fireworm was munching on it.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many pounds did you pick up I’ve heard when you get over 120 to 150 pounds that’s when you end up getting the hitchhikers
Funny. I only added 15 lbs of rock. I have a few mantis shrimp and a few of these fireworms. I let the rocks sit dry for a few minutes and nothing came out of it, so I thought it was good to go.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny. I only added 15 lbs of rock. I have a few mantis shrimp and a few of these fireworms. I let the rocks sit dry for a few minutes and nothing came out of it, so I thought it was good to go.
Lol Well I know a lot better than that ha ha

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking Tampa Bay live rock but then I saw everyone loving KP live rock so I am watching closely.
I was going to get 100 pounds of KP and then 50 from Tampa and 50 from somewhere else but after reading all the reviews Kp seems to always come out on top
Most people have stated it’s more porous than all the others and has better biodiversity due to the location of the ocean it’s pulled from

HumboldtReefers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you about waiting at the airport. Doing imports that is half my life lately, waiting to get the space on a flight is worse than knowing its landing in the air. Fish and wildlife can be stressful too when they are taking their time. Hope you find any hitchhikers and that you get the benefits from the rock you are seeking. Look forward to seeing how you scape it.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many pounds did you pick up I’ve heard when you get over 120 to 150 pounds that’s when you end up getting the hitchhikers
I had tons of bad crabs on 20 lbs and sooo many cool good things. I regret nothing. I QT the rock under light for a long time to catch them. Light to keep photosynthetic stuff alive. No fireworms from mine, just lots of not so nice crabs.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had tons of bad crabs on 20 lbs and sooo many cool good things. I regret nothing. I QT the rock under light for a long time to catch them. Light to keep photosynthetic stuff alive. No fireworms from mine, just lots of not so nice crabs.
Wow tons of bad crabs on 20 pounds I can’t even imagine what I’m in for right now lol

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do plan to do a very thorough quarantine and inspection on all the rocks my only issue is I have questioned this and how much of the biodiversity will be damaged during this quarantine do any of you have any idea about this?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back