Six-Line Wrasse Bloated — Dropsy or Constipation?

helena1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! We have a 6-line wrasse whose belly has become distended in the last 24 hours. We had a fish recently get sick and pass (a dwarf angel who got one-sided popeye and began swimming weird), but we retrieved it from the tank before it actually died (to control the ammonia).

We tried to feed the wrasse a boiled mashed pea, but it didnt want to eat it. Does anyone think this could be dropsy? We did have a bit of a spike in nitrates last week but a water change fixed it.

I know they can be overeaters so was wondering if anyone has seen their wrasse bloat. I’m not sure I’ve seen him eat today but think he did.

Thanks!
IMG_4200.jpeg
IMG_4199.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you technically joined like a month ago, but welcome to Reef2Reef and sorry for your trouble!

I'd suggest at a minimum posting the info suggested in the quote below, and if possible reading through the link below that (particularly the "Aquarium Parameters," "Water quality," and "In-depth Information" sections) to figure out what info you can share here with the #fishmedic to get the best diagnosis and treatment advice possible:
Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.
Also, for future reference (don't use it this time) with these sorts of issues, posting in the forum linked below can get you help faster:

OP
OP
H

helena1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you technically joined like a month ago, but welcome to Reef2Reef and sorry for your trouble!

I'd suggest at a minimum posting the info suggested in the quote below, and if possible reading through the link below that (particularly the "Aquarium Parameters," "Water quality," and "In-depth Information" sections) to figure out what info you can share here with the #fishmedic to get the best diagnosis and treatment advice possible:

Also, for future reference (don't use it this time) with these sorts of issues, posting in the forum linked below can get you help faster:
Hi Fish Medic!

Let me fill in some of the info:

We’ve had the wrasse for about 6 weeks. The parameters are clear after doing a water change but this AM nitrites were 2 ppm. The swelling only became noticeable this weekend. We did not quarantine the fish when we first got him.

The tank lights are off for the night by now but I can try to get a video in the AM if necessary.

Other fish we have in the tank: 2 clowns, one gobi, one hawkfish. Everything else inverts.

Thanks!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parameters are clear after doing a water change but this AM nitrites were 2 ppm.
I'm not a Fish Medic, but I've tagged them so they should respond here soon.

While we wait for them, though, can you list out the specific parameters you're testing and what they last read for you regardless? You never know when it may be useful.

Also, as a side note, Nitrites aren't toxic in saltwater like they are in freshwater, so people don't generally test for Nitrite once their tank has cycled. The only thing to really be aware of with Nitrite in saltwater is that it interferes with Nitrate test kits and causes them to read substantially higher than is accurate - so if your Nitrate level seems inexplicably, unreasonably high, that would be a situation where you may consider testing Nitrite to see if it's the cause of the reading.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi! We have a 6-line wrasse whose belly has become distended in the last 24 hours. We had a fish recently get sick and pass (a dwarf angel who got one-sided popeye and began swimming weird), but we retrieved it from the tank before it actually died (to control the ammonia).

We tried to feed the wrasse a boiled mashed pea, but it didnt want to eat it. Does anyone think this could be dropsy? We did have a bit of a spike in nitrates last week but a water change fixed it.

I know they can be overeaters so was wondering if anyone has seen their wrasse bloat. I’m not sure I’ve seen him eat today but think he did.

Thanks!
IMG_4200.jpeg
IMG_4199.jpeg
This is a sign of constipation and I can guess you are feeding it pellet/dry foods. If so, pull off and feed brine shrimp which acts as a laxative ad easily palatable for the fish. Other possibility is fish being egg-bound but im sure constipated.
Is fish breathing normal or labored?

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fish Medic!

Let me fill in some of the info:

We’ve had the wrasse for about 6 weeks. The parameters are clear after doing a water change but this AM nitrites were 2 ppm. The swelling only became noticeable this weekend. We did not quarantine the fish when we first got him.

The tank lights are off for the night by now but I can try to get a video in the AM if necessary.

Other fish we have in the tank: 2 clowns, one gobi, one hawkfish. Everything else inverts.

Thanks!
Did you guys have pizza night by chance?? If so, that may be the reason. Happens a lot… the wrasse is notorious for getting a belly, but then it goes down on its own. It may be the sodium, just my two cent.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
IMG_4200.jpeg
IMG_4199.jpeg

There are three basic causes for this: eggs, constipation and ascites (dropsy). The mashed peas is a treatment used for fancy goldfish that then got misapplied to marine fish. You cannot treat dropsy, as it is a result of liver/kidney failure. The eggs may be release on their own. So - you could try feeding frozen brine shrimp in case it is simply constipation.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back