Size regrets - Exchange for a bigger tank before we fill?

What would you do?

• Return & get 65g

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • I wouldn’t exchange the 45g

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Take a loss & get the 65g

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have or would you switch out a tank before you fill it? Would an extra 20g and going from 12” wide to 18” wide be a huge difference? (36L 24H).

I wanted a tank exactly 36” and tall, so when I found it at a LFS I was so excited (to the point I didn’t research). I found out they make it in the same size but wider and 20g more.

So our LFS owner is pretty “salty”, which is my only hesitation. I don’t even know if he’d accept a return even though it’s only 10 days and still wrapped. Part of me feels like just taking a loss on it on FB and get the one that’s bigger to avoid conflict at the cleanest lfs.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get what you want, can afford, and can fit in your space. Try to return and if you have to sell it to someone else and get the tank you want. I regret not doing a bigger tank often. Also bigger tanks are easier to keep stable in the long run so 20g is nicer plus you'll love the extra space eventually.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get the bigger. you'll always be looking at that smaller tank sighing, I should have bought the bigger, and probably lose interest. I'd call him and say you really would like the bigger one and if you're buying the bigger one from him I don't see an issue. (unless you bought used?)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have or would you switch out a tank before you fill it? Would an extra 20g and going from 12” wide to 18” wide be a huge difference? (36L 24H).

I wanted a tank exactly 36” and tall, so when I found it at a LFS I was so excited (to the point I didn’t research). I found out they make it in the same size but wider and 20g more.

So our LFS owner is pretty “salty”, which is my only hesitation. I don’t even know if he’d accept a return even though it’s only 10 days and still wrapped. Part of me feels like just taking a loss on it on FB and get the one that’s bigger to avoid conflict at the cleanest lfs.
I don't know of any retailers who would take a tank back after it has gone out the front door - after all you could have dropped the box on the way home.

No harm in asking though.

If they say no, you'd make a pretty big loss on selling it for the same reason as above so it would be a difficult call unless money is of no consequence.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12" wide is challenging for a reef tank because you need to squeeze your aquascape in there while also leaving ample swimming room.

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do what happens to lots of us, get multiple tanks even though it will take up too much room and probqbly beba bad idea in the long run. Im up to 4 tanks (2 larger 2 small) now and the wife tells me im done. Ol. Its a bug. Be careful.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12" wide to 18" is really nice. It's a no brainer, get the bigger.

I'm going from 18" to 24" and it looks massively bigger. Can't wait to finish the scape.
I went from 18” on my old tank to 30” wide on my new one and man it’s a different world lol

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the 170 from IM, then they stopped the "just tank" buys. I don't like the industrial looking stands. I went with planet.
Mines a custom from planet
72x30x24

Steel stand wrapped with wood held on by magnets for easy removal if needed

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d at the very least call and ask them what they could do if anything for a return/exchange.

B&CinB.C.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just aquascaped my new IM75 gallon tank. ( 24 inches wide) . I tried to leave 3 inches front and back for cleaning , waterflow and room for fish to move around. You've probably got less than 11 1/2 inches inside .
Not much room for aquascaping if you're going to leave some open area. I would at least talk to the LFS owner and try to exchange the tank for the wider one .

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back