Skimmer advice

Hollywood_REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a WB Frag 105.4 I am currently running a BM curve 5 elite skimmer. when it works it works but its not consistent. The recommended water height in the sump is much higher than what I have going on. I bought it because of the small foot print, recommended water height is 9.5'' to 11''. The water level height in my sump is 8'' exactly and looking for something with a small foot print. Any recommendations is appreciated.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the water level fluctuate in that part of your sump? That’s a perfect skimmer for your tank! If it’s not consistent there’s a few things that can cause that. 1 the water level not being constant, 2 foods or something you’re adding to the tank. Last but not least your bioload might be to small currently.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ that too! I run all my skimmers in 7” of water it creates less head pressure and turbulence inside the body.. I don’t care what any manufacture recommends lol! I have built and designed skimmers from the ground up I learned a lot about them.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How new is the setup? How stocked is the tank, bioload? How new is the skimmer?
Looking at the drawing of that sump, you should be able to raise the water level an inch if in fact that’s the cause. I run a BM 3 with my tank at an inch below recommend and it skims well. Water level that’s a tad under is easier to dial in the skimmer as opposed to a water level a tad over.

OP
OP
Hollywood_REEFER

Hollywood_REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been running for 3 years with that skimmer, i had a major crash happen about 6 months and lost most of everything. It skimmed great before the crash and the bioload was definitely bigger then. I recently got back to getting it going again. I never drained the tank after the crash just kept filling the ATO hoping I will get back into it. The skimmer was shut off during that time. I tried lifting it with egg crate but still nothing. Water level in my sump is pretty stable. Im gonna pull it out and give it a good cleaning and see if thats the problem.

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank has been running for 3 years with that skimmer, i had a major crash happen about 6 months and lost most of everything. It skimmed great before the crash and the bioload was definitely bigger then. I recently got back to getting it going again. I never drained the tank after the crash just kept filling the ATO hoping I will get back into it. The skimmer was shut off during that time. I tried lifting it with egg crate but still nothing. Water level in my sump is pretty stable. Im gonna pull it out and give it a good cleaning and see if thats the problem.
I’m no expert on skimmers or anything else for that matter..

However, bio load could definitely make the skimmer inconsistent if it’s not enough.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. So is the cup taking days or a week to fill and them some days once a day? Just trying to get a feel of what you consider inconsistent. Obv you’re not a new reefer but the term inconsistent can be subjective.

OP
OP
Hollywood_REEFER

Hollywood_REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea, some days skims wet but not a thick foam. and recently im getting nothing. I tried to raise the skimmer etc.. just not getting any skim mate. Foams in the neck but cant get it to collect in the cup. been a few days now

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a WB Frag 105.4 I am currently running a BM curve 5 elite skimmer. when it works it works but its not consistent. The recommended water height in the sump is much higher than what I have going on. I bought it because of the small foot print, recommended water height is 9.5'' to 11''. The water level height in my sump is 8'' exactly and looking for something with a small foot print. Any recommendations is appreciated.
n this case you can elevate the skimmer with a skimmer stand or dollar store basket with holes used for a student desk

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you give your skimmer a clean during the 6 months it was sitting? If you havent already, go give your skimmer a deep clean. It will do wonders in skimmer performance.

Also it seems like you just left your tank alone for 6 months after the crash and never once did a water change or anything. I cant imagine how you can stand the stench that is rotting corals soup for that long. Go give your tank a deep clean and do a huge water change. with little to no bio load it will be hard for your skimmer to skim anything as theres nothing to skim.

OP
OP
Hollywood_REEFER

Hollywood_REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I clean the skimmer in a citric acid bath? did my mp40 and its spotless. The tank stunk for a little bit. I pulled all the dead stuff out and the structures the only thing that was in the tank was the water and the sand. Its been running for about 3 months now its its doing great. A few corals going and 6 fish. just need to tackle this skimmer.

OP
OP
Hollywood_REEFER

Hollywood_REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I ended up getting a reef Octo classic 150sss. skims like a champ. Guessing the pump might be going on the curve 5 elite.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back