Skimmer for a Red Sea 900 3XL?

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS I currently have a Red Sea 900 3XL (192 gallon display, 240 gallons total), a ClariSea SK-5000 fleece filter roller (1320 gph), and a Reef Octopus Regal 250SSS. I believe the skimmer is oversized due to its inconsistent performance and the use of the filter roller. So, if using a filter roller, how much should I undersize the skimmer?

I am looking for skimmer recommendations. Ideally, something that would fit the 11"x17" skimmer compartment of the sump. I believe I have it narrowed down to the following.
Skimmers.png

I would prefer the Reef Octopus Elite 200SSS, but with the 125 heavily stocked BRS rating, it seems like it may be too small if not considering the filter roller. Looking at the numbers, it appears the Bubble King Deluxe 200 might be ideal at 184 gallons, followed by the Reef Octopus Regal 200INT at 175 gallons... not considering the filter roller.

Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading to a 225 gal tank I I plan on going with a Regal 200SSS. I currently use a Regal 150SSS on my 120 and feel they are actually very good at what they do and as a result are over sized per the recommendations.

@Jeff@CoralVue, any recommendations?

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS I currently have a Red Sea 900 3XL (192 gallon display, 240 gallons total), a ClariSea SK-5000 fleece filter roller (1320 gph), and a Reef Octopus Regal 250SSS. I believe the skimmer is oversized due to its inconsistent performance and the use of the filter roller. So, if using a filter roller, how much should I undersize the skimmer?

I am looking for skimmer recommendations. Ideally, something that would fit the 11"x17" skimmer compartment of the sump. I believe I have it narrowed down to the following.

I would prefer the Reef Octopus Elite 200SSS, but with the 125 heavily stocked BRS rating, it seems like it may be too small if not considering the filter roller. Looking at the numbers, it appears the Bubble King Deluxe 200 might be ideal at 184 gallons, followed by the Reef Octopus Regal 200INT at 175 gallons... not considering the filter roller.

Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Since there really isn't a direct equation for "how to size a skimmer if using a fleece roller filter", the best we can do and hope for is to make the most logical guess possible. In your case, I think you've already done that by simply narrowing down the huge list of available skimmers to just a small handful that will likely meet your needs.

Honestly, attempting to narrow down this list further based on "performance potential" is probably splitting some pretty small hairs at this point (especially when you factor in the myriad of fluctuation variables that can happen in your tank filtration throughout a single day, week, month, year..etc.)

That said, what we're left with here in your MDMP (military decision making process ;) ) is choosing an option based on your size needs, adjustability, budget and simple personal preference. This leads me to my own recommendation for your situation which for me lands on that RO Regal 200INT for a couple of reasons.
1) Affordability using the exact same controllable pump as any other RO-200 model.
2) Pump outside the body allows for more contact area inside the body from a shorter injection point. Bonus-it still fits in the required footprint space.
3) It's DC, like all the others, so I can have more finite control over the air/water mixture.
4) I personally like a gate valve adjustment over a wedge-pipe. Not that there is proven efficiency/performance from one over the other, just what I like better.

Outside of that, between similar skimmers with similar size bodies and similar sized DC pumps...for me that "bioload rating" is a very rough guide and I think anyone of these options would fit the bill for what you are trying to achieve. Ultimately once the decision is made, the way you personally approach adjustments and fine tuning based on its application in your own tank will be the true measurement of how successful your skimmer choice will be. Luckily some BRStv Investigates episodes we have on the channel help answer how we recommend approaching skimmer adjustments properly. :)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%

Back