Skimmer?

RaddReef319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up an AGA 75 gallon aquarium soon. I'm going to let the tank cycle for a month before adding any coral. Should I use a skimmer during this time or not? I'm adding Biospira and Bio-zyme to speed -up the process and I'm concerned that they'll simply be skimmed off to the collection cup. Any suggestions?

hansmtt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used additives to help cycle the tank, but I would skim...despite what you are adding, the more nasty you remove the better.
Go Hawks! I lived in Iowa City for 11 years...love it!

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say you are going to let the tank cycle, but don't say what you are cycling... Are you adding live rock, has it been cured, or is uncured? Did you buy Marco Rock.... There are many variables that you need to be specific about if you want answers. ;)

In any case, YES, I would run the skimmer.

OP
OP
RaddReef319

RaddReef319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To cycle the tank I'm using live rock and aragacrete that I made. The aragacrete is going to be cured. So, there shouldn't be alot of die off, maybe a little. I just thought using biospira and bio-zyme might help. For ammonia to start the cycle I'm adding blue leg hermits. It sounds like I definately should use a skimmer though. It seemed somewhat obvious but just wanted to double check.

Elan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think hermits have a certain time in the tank. They are nice when you start off, then as you understand what viscous blood thirsty murderers that they are, you can slowly take them out until they are gone. They help with that first boom of hair algae.

And YES always use a skimmer!

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOU CANT SKIM USING BIOSPIRA. You will skim all the bacteria out. I think you have to wait like three days to start skimming. You will also need a good source of waste like fish. Ive never used biospira before but if its anything like fritz turbo 900 well worth the money if your in a hurry.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think hermits have a certain time in the tank. They are nice when you start off, then as you understand what viscous blood thirsty murderers that they are, you can slowly take them out until they are gone. They help with that first boom of hair algae.

And YES always use a skimmer!

I could not agree more on the CRABS!!!! They are NASTY!

YOU CANT SKIM USING BIOSPIRA. You will skim all the bacteria out. I think you have to wait like three days to start skimming. You will also need a good source of waste like fish. Ive never used biospira before but if its anything like fritz turbo 900 well worth the money if your in a hurry.

To my understanding, if the bacteria is in the water column, it is NOT the bacteria you want. There are several articles that have discussed where in the tank the Nitrosoma, and Nitrobacter colonize, and free floating is not one of those places. ;)

I have ZERO experience with BioSpira though, but from sounds of it, I think I would just go with uncured rock, and use the cash for a few snails....

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The directions will say not to skim this is a liquid it will take time for the bacteria to settle. I have used bacteria additives on all my tanks with great results.

OP
OP
RaddReef319

RaddReef319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've used Biospira in two of my tanks and it seemed to work fine. If I add it, it seems that one should give the nitrifiers a couple of days to settle in before turning on the skimmer. What's wrong with blue leg hermits? I've always kept them in my tanks and never had any issues. That's a good idea about getting some uncured live rock. I wanted to stay away from buying more rock because of the bad stuff that comes with it, like bryopsis, aiptasias, etc. I've battled that stuff and don't want it in my new tank.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 51 44.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back