Slow starter

ryany25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my name is Ryan and I live in southern PA. I am completely new to saltwater. I have a 75 gallon that is cycled, but I’m waiting to add fish until I get back from an upcoming vacation. I have a couple of questions. I’ve seeded the tank with pods and have been feeding phyto daily. Was seeding pods before getting anything else going a good idea? Is there anything else I can get started before adding a fish? I’m interested in starting with a pair of clowns and an anemone. What are the best beginner anemones that will host clowns? Can I put the anemone in when I add fish?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! It is a safer approach to wait to add anemones until the tank matures. Good luck!

Clownfish.gif

OP
OP
ryany25

ryany25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. How about coral? Do they also need a more established tank? My tank was started with live sand, dry rock, and a couple live rock from lfs. I’m using an FX4 for now but will probably go with a sump after my wife forgets what I’ve spent so far. I have a gyre in as well. I put in pods and cerith snails from algae barn, and the live rock came with a few hermit crabs. I had lots of freshwater tanks and am very excited to be starting up a reef after wanting too for years.

Attachments

• IMG_4589.jpeg
    IMG_4589.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 48

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. How about coral? Do they also need a more established tank? My tank was started with live sand, dry rock, and a couple live rock from lfs. I’m using an FX4 for now but will probably go with a sump after my wife forgets what I’ve spent so far. I have a gyre in as well. I put in pods and cerith snails from algae barn, and the live rock came with a few hermit crabs. I had lots of freshwater tanks and am very excited to be starting up a reef after wanting too for years.
I've been using an fx4 for 4 years, no issues at all and very very quiet compared to a sump

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my name is Ryan and I live in southern PA. I am completely new to saltwater. I have a 75 gallon that is cycled, but I’m waiting to add fish until I get back from an upcoming vacation. I have a couple of questions. I’ve seeded the tank with pods and have been feeding phyto daily. Was seeding pods before getting anything else going a good idea? Is there anything else I can get started before adding a fish? I’m interested in starting with a pair of clowns and an anemone. What are the best beginner anemones that will host clowns? Can I put the anemone in when I add fish?
Welcome to R2R and Happy Reefing

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
I love the Clown/Anemone relationship and have had great sucess in the past with Red/Rose Bubble Tips. One downside with anemones, at least in my experience with RBT's, is they can stay in one spot or they can get up and move for no reason (I'm sure there are reasons such as they don't like the light, flow, etc) so I would suggest mesh guards on any flow pumps in the tank. The mesh helps keep the RBT from getting caught in the pump and getting chopped up.

I don't want to disuade you from going with Clowns/Anemones, just take precautions....

Man, If I could only go back in time and tell my younger self to take precautions. LOL

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 39 27.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 14 9.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 53 37.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back