Slug identification

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me what slug this is? I was doing a water changnje and noticed it above the water hanging out. Didn’t want to throw it away if the slug was good

3BD37A1D-616E-4835-BEE3-125F57AD8D35.jpeg E7A7AAD5-4ED2-4471-A2A9-D196395DF440.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can anyone tell me what slug this is? I was doing a water changnje and noticed it above the water hanging out. Didn’t want to throw it away if the slug was good

3BD37A1D-616E-4835-BEE3-125F57AD8D35.jpeg E7A7AAD5-4ED2-4471-A2A9-D196395DF440.jpeg
Looks like a jorunna funebris sea slug but not positive

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a Dermatobranchus sp. nudibranch, possibly Dermatobranchus fortunatus, though the patterning on the back doesn't look quite right for it. Either way, ID'ing them down to the species is a bit of tedious process for me (and sometimes I can't get a confirmed species), but they’re not reef safe. The genus is known for eating octocorals (soft corals, gorgonians, etc.) and/including GSP, so that’s likely a remove nudibranch.
Actually, I can't see any of the feathery gills you'd typically find on a Jorunna nudibranch on this guy (though they do share some resemblance). It looks more to me like a Dermatobranchus spp. which are known for eating octocorals (softies, gorgonians, etc.).

ID'ing them down to the species is a bit of tedious process for me (and sometimes I can't get a confirmed species), but here are two recent links from people with similar (if not the same species) nudibranchs (tentatively ID'ed as Dermatobranchus fortunatus, though I'm not sure the rhinophores are right for it) that were alleged to be GSP eaters.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Man, its hard to tell what it is! I want to know if its good or bad. Its like a dark yellow with brown markings and the body underneath is white, outlined in yellow. Brown antennas
Old saying - If in doubt, take it out

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a Dermatobranchus sp. nudibranch, possibly Dermatobranchus fortunatus, though the patterning on the back doesn't look quite right for it. Either way, ID'ing them down to the species is a bit of tedious process for me (and sometimes I can't get a confirmed species), but they’re not reef safe. The genus is known for eating octocorals (soft corals, gorgonians, etc.) and/including GSP, so that’s likely a remove nudibranch.
Okay!! I will definitely keep it out of the tank! And it makes sense because I have a clove that was randomly "dying" and pieces were missing, it was strange! I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. All the levels have been perfect and it was still opening so it was odd. It makes sense that it would eat it! That's frustrating. Do they multiply?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay!! I will definitely keep it out of the tank! And it makes sense because I have a clove that was randomly "dying" and pieces were missing, it was strange! I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. All the levels have been perfect and it was still opening so it was odd. It makes sense that it would eat it! That's frustrating. Do they multiply?
Based on some of the other threads I’ve seen with these guys, I would guess yes.

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on some of the other threads I’ve seen with these guys, I would guess yes.
You’re right. This is definitely it! I’m going to go through the tank very carefully to see if there is anymore. How frustrating!! I only saw that one but I’m afraid there’s more. I hope not but I’m going to scan the tank thoroughly. These guys are no good!

Attachments

• 887BC9A8-0FC1-45D1-960B-834CA977915D.jpeg
    887BC9A8-0FC1-45D1-960B-834CA977915D.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old saying - If in doubt, take it out
Man this sucks. Im pretty sure I killed a few larvae on the glass. My tank is still in fallow from the velvet. I have maybe one more week. I guess I could put the fish in but I don't want to take a chance. I took them all out December 6th I believe. I need to double check. It ate my dang clove polyp. Im so mad. I was wondering why it wasn't growing but it was open. It was strange. These things have probably been in the tank for a long time, enough for the one to grow really big. So, now im scanning the tank. I am going to dip every soft coral in melafix; love this stuff! Is there a fish that eats these? or anything that eats them?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Man this sucks. Im pretty sure I killed a few larvae on the glass. My tank is still in fallow from the velvet. I have maybe one more week. I guess I could put the fish in but I don't want to take a chance. I took them all out December 6th I believe. I need to double check. It ate my dang clove polyp. Im so mad. I was wondering why it wasn't growing but it was open. It was strange. These things have probably been in the tank for a long time, enough for the one to grow really big. So, now im scanning the tank. I am going to dip every soft coral in melafix; love this stuff! Is there a fish that eats these? or anything that eats them?
The reason I suggested tossing it is they often come with eggs and suddenly there are more.
melafix is mainly Teak tree oil and may not be effective with these. CoralRX, brightwell and revive will be more effective

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a fish that eats these? or anything that eats them
Not that I know of. Not much seems to eat nudibranchs (a lot of them are poisonous, foul tasting, or appear to be poisonous), and some of them can autotomize body parts to distract anything that might try to prey on them.

There may be a species of wrasse or something that eats them, but I’d imagine just about anything willing to eat these guys would also eat your CUC.

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I know of. Not much seems to eat nudibranchs (a lot of them are poisonous, foul tasting, or appear to be poisonous), and some of them can autotomize body parts to distract anything that might try to prey on them.

There may be a species of wrasse or something that eats them, but I’d imagine just about anything willing to eat these guys would also eat your CUC.
Yeah I was just going to say that the Melanuruss wrasse eats them. Im going to the store to buy one. Im rechecking tho my calendar because I am in a fallow period from velvet. November 21st is when I took out the flame angel, but I had left the others in because they were so dang hard to catch. I believe I left them for a week or two, I can't remember. I am trying to look through my text and photos to get an idea of when I transferred them.

I went and bought a wrasse. I got the Melanurus one. Yesterday was the first day I put the fish in since the velvet outbreak. I looked at the calendar and it was about 8 weeks almost. So, I put them in. So far everyone is great. The only one I didn't put in is the flame angel. She is the one that almost died and she has been through a lot. I will put her in tomorrow. I wanted to wait just incase something would of happened. I am traumatized! I went through a lot and so did she. She is going to be so happy tomorrow. I can't wait!! I am definitely going to get a video of her. Her fins are almost completely healed; she's doing wonderful. I hope this wrasse cleans house! He's a beautiful one too. Big Boy!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 9.37.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 9.37.21 PM.png
    624.1 KB · Views: 13

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back