Small Plastic Discs for Stabilizing Frag Plugs in Holder - Where to get them?

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking and I can't seem to find the small, thin plastic discs that some vendors use (instead of rubber bands) to keep the frag plug stable while shipping. Anyone know where I can find some? Thanks!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know it is not exactly what you are asking for, but you may want to look for something like Aqua Print's security clips. Good luck with your search!

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Peace River these look perfect for what I'm looking to do (secure frag plugs to my frag rack), but they look like they're only available in the UK? I'm in USA - any idea if similar products exist in the US? Thanks!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately I don't have a US source to recommend. You could try a craft store or continue with an internet search. Additionally, if you or someone is at a show (or a coral vendor sees this post) then this would be a great question to ask. I'm curious to know the answer too - good luck with the search!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had never even considered clips to hold a frag into the frag rack but after looking at @Peace River suggestion I found there is a file on thingiverse to 3d print some.
Do you know anyone with a 3d printer that can print some for you?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just remember what they are called! Try searching for “plastic retaining washer” and plastic retaining clip”. Obviously you will need to find ones that are a reef safe material and the right size.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are called star locks or speed clips. Big box home improvement stores usually have them as does Amazon. I just use zip ties and nip the excess off though.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just cut an X in the bottom of the cup and jam the plug stem through it. Then throw in a little carbon and bag and ship as usual.

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all - I can't for the life of me find PLASTIC star locks / retaining washers anywhere. A bit more color - this isn't for shipping, rather for holding the frag and plug in my frag rack; otherwise the frags keep getting blown over by my powerheads. I like the idea of the zip tie, albeit not the easiest way to do it. Thanks again!

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all - I can't for the life of me find PLASTIC star locks / retaining washers anywhere. A bit more color - this isn't for shipping, rather for holding the frag and plug in my frag rack; otherwise the frags keep getting blown over by my powerheads. I like the idea of the zip tie, albeit not the easiest way to do it. Thanks again!
To clarify I’m saying loop the zip tie around the stem of the plug and cut the excess to be a few mm longer than the rack opening. That way you can pull them out and push them back in with one hand but they cannot blow out.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re interested, I can 3-D print those clips shown above and assuming you’re going to pay for shipping I’m sure the clips don’t cost much to make

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@((FORDTECH)) That would be awesome! I'd be more than happy to pay for shipping, as well as extra for supplies and time spent. I was looking for about 20 of them; were you referring to https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5629697 Seems like those would be great; all my frag plugs are just standard diameter. Let me know if that works, and what I owe you. Many many thanks.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@((FORDTECH)) That would be awesome! I'd be more than happy to pay for shipping, as well as extra for supplies and time spent. I was looking for about 20 of them; were you referring to https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5629697 Seems like those would be great; all my frag plugs are just standard diameter. Let me know if that works, and what I owe you. Many many thanks.
Yes, that’s the one I’m referring to when I get a chance today sometime I’ll throw it on the printer and see how they go and I’ll get back to you

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So right off the bat looking at the file I hate when people do this it’s not sized properly when the file is put into the program it is literally 2 mm x 2 mm about the size of a piece of rice. So now I’m gonna have to figure out what size to make it, so it works with that being said, do you recall the stem size of your plugs?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like these? If you show me what you want I’m sure I know where to get them.

Attachments

• IMG_0665.png
    IMG_0665.png
    222.5 KB · Views: 32

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So right off the bat looking at the file I hate when people do this it’s not sized properly when the file is put into the program it is literally 2 mm x 2 mm about the size of a piece of rice. So now I’m gonna have to figure out what size to make it, so it works with that being said, do you recall the stem size of your plugs?
When I posted the link I didn’t realize the stl was sized wrong. I just got done playing around with them in tinkercad so I can try and print them when I get home. I don’t understand why people upload things to thingiverse the way they do.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 46 59.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back