Small tank with corals and one (maybe 2) spectacular 2-4" fish

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research will go a long way, LFS just wants to sell fish. Look at live aquaria in the future for a bare minimum tank size on fish, both of those fish have a minimum of 125 and 180 gallons. I have a blue hippo juvenile in my six foot tank and Im upgrading by the end of the year to at least a 220 gallon thats 8 feet for them to have more room as they get bigger.

And no not true at all. If the lfs is telling you these things find a different one, that one clearly doesnt care about the welfare of their animals and completely set you up for failure in my opinion with awful advice like that. Not trying to be mean at all, I learned my lesson with LFS and advice a couple times. Ive found two lfs stores where I made connections, they know what kind of tanks I have and advise me on fish/corals that work for my tank not just to sell them. Meeting the owners always help too, that will tell you a lot about the store.

When I go to a store I ask a question about livestock I know is a no no and if they say yeah totally will work I leave. Went to a store a week ago and asked if I can keep an adult emperor angelfish in a 70 gallon. They said yes. I walked out, cause there is no way an adult emperor angel (at 15 inches long) would even fit in a tank like that with rocks. Just my personal way of seeing which stores are good and which are not
Excuse my ignorance, is live aquaria a book or a place?

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why not
I have 7 fish in a biocube 32 g
1 purple tang
1 blue tang
1 angel fish
1 six line wrasse
1 royal gramma
2 clowns
it is a little crazy but it work for me
Hmm bordering on unethical. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen one of these that just really jumps right off the screen.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse my ignorance, is live aquaria a book or a place?
Its a website that sells fish. Ive never bought from them but they are a good quick reference to use in a store when looking at a fish to see the tank size they should be in at minimum

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that the lack of information or letting myself be guided by "experts" in marine aquariums like my lfs is something unethical.
What I think @Brian1f1 is saying is unethical is the practices of the LFS, and in turn the hobbyist who doesnt research themselves to have an idea about what is appropriate for live animals is negligent and that in turn is unethical. Like when I said I asked the one store about an adult emperor angel in a 70 and them saying yes and me just buying it seeing the size and not looking into it and thinking about what is best for the animal. Correct me if Im wrong @Brian1f1

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
Youre welcome. I really think that LFS set you up for failure but I do think you should have researched further into the fish. Hind sight is 20/20 as they say, so just learn from that and do research in the store. Or wait and ask on the form for people to weigh in! Theres lots of experience here, many of them have been in this hobby way longer than myself and are very knowledgable!

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youre welcome. I really think that LFS set you up for failure but I do think you should have researched further into the fish. Hind sight is 20/20 as they say, so just learn from that and do research in the store. Or wait and ask on the form for people to weigh in! Theres lots of experience here, many of them have been in this hobby way longer than myself and are very knowledgable!
Yes it is true that I was partly to blame but I am not the bad guy here, I just got carried away by the excitement of my first aquarium and let myself be guided by people who I thought were experts on the subject, it is a store with good reviews in internet and I didn't think there was a problem

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is true that I was partly to blame but I am not the bad guy here, I just got carried away by the excitement of my first aquarium and let myself be guided by people who I thought were experts on the subject, it is a store with good reviews in internet and I didn't think there was a problem
admitting fault is really good, and a good way to learn. I would just 100% never go back to that store! They clearly dont care about fish

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
admitting fault is really good, and a good way to learn. I would just 100% never go back to that store! They clearly dont care about fish
1000% sure that I won't go to that place anymore, now what I thought was going to take longer I have to do it quickly, I just have to figure out how to get the fish out of there, I really appreciate the advices, thank you very much.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000% sure that I won't go to that place anymore, now what I thought was going to take longer I have to do it quickly, I just have to figure out how to get the fish out of there, I really appreciate the advices, thank you very much.
For tangs and angels probably remove all rock and go from there. Fast little boogers

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy fish from where ever you like, especially if the fishes are healthy and cheap. Just don’t depends on LFS for informations. Search for information prior to buying. It is so easy to get information these days, it is such a shame that not more reefers use these information

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the op's question... Two fish in the 20 will be fine maybe even three depending on the type. Percula clowns, royal gramma, pygmy angel, yellow tail damsels are super well behaved, azure damsel, Cardinal fish, any type of small goby.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it feasible to put together a 15-20 gallon reef tank with but one or maybe 2 spectacular fish of 3-4 inches and a variety of soft and LPS corals?
I would personally do something like a 20 gallon reef with a pair of banggai cardinalfish and a swalesi basslet. Simple, elegant, and the basslet wouldn't be lost like it would in a larger system. All hardy, easy to care for, and great colors/patterning. Or if you really wanted to go all out, swap the swalesi basslet for a candy basslet.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't researched it yet. Need to be reef an invert safe. Suggestions are welcomed both for fish and corals.
Thanks.
Clownfish are always a good fish in a reef! So many kinds and designers out there!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why not
I have 7 fish in a biocube 32 g
1 purple tang
1 blue tang
1 angel fish
1 six line wrasse
1 royal gramma
2 clowns
it is a little crazy but it work for me
You're joking, right??
Edit: I see that you were mislead by your LFS. I appreciate your replies to the posts letting you know this is not good practice. There's much to learn in this hobby - and it's a lot different than keeping freshwater.

Please start a new thread and ask any questions you have - we all want you to be successful! :)

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty new to the hobby, just 6 month in it, my friend gift me the tank with 4 fish already and in my lfs they told me i can have that many fish even one more, i am learning from here everything I can, anyway my dad have a tank and already say to give him the two tangs
Find a new LFS for advice.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back