Smallest Frogspawn frag ever!

thebluecatapilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was at an LFS yesterday, looking through the frag tank for some goodies when I see something really finny. Theres an urchin decorating itself with a bunch of rubble, and it has this tiny frag on it.
Sure enough its an itty bitty frogspawn. This thing is literally half an inch by half an inch. The colors and growth on it looked good so i asked how much and the employee said "i can give you $5 for him"

Long story short I made a score (IMO) and have this little guy to take care.

Can anyone offer me some special advice since he is so small? And how is this little guy still alive after being broken off and doing so well?

IMG_7180.jpg
IMG_7181.jpg
IMG_7180.jpg
IMG_7181.jpg
IMG_7180.jpg

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome score! I would just treat it like a normal one, maybe feed it a little

OP
OP
thebluecatapilla

thebluecatapilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome score! I would just treat it like a normal one, maybe feed it a little

haha thanks, hopefully he can grow into a full colony with enough tender loving care.

I put him in like medium to high lighting with a relatively good amount of flow and he seems to be happy, is that okay? Also should I try gluing him down?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should start a grow out type thread, it would be awesome to see how large this thing gets in a year or so!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just start one in the LPS section or you could even just use this one as the grow out thread. You could also start a tank build thread in the members tank section and do it there :D lots of choices!

OP
OP
thebluecatapilla

thebluecatapilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just start one in the LPS section or you could even just use this one as the grow out thread. You could also start a tank build thread in the members tank section and do it there :D lots of choices!

Okay perfect thanks :)

Also congratulations on your 3,600th post!

Dynamic_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else got some input on this little guy?

Ooh maybe I should name it too! ;)

Awesome pick up. Best advice already came from someone else: Treat it like any other coral. Once a month I go around to the LFS's in my area and look for good pickups like that (half dead corals, extremely small corals, etc) and sometimes can get lucky.

Although if I did have to give one piece of advice it would be to make sure the frag is secure on the rock either with puddy, glue, or both. I had a single head Euphyllia many years ago that kept getting knocked around and didn't really thrive until I secured it to the rock and it never moved again.

Also that frag looks like an octo frogspawn which is awesome.

OP
OP
thebluecatapilla

thebluecatapilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome pick up. Best advice already came from someone else: Treat it like any other coral. Once a month I go around to the LFS's in my area and look for good pickups like that (half dead corals, extremely small corals, etc) and sometimes can get lucky.

Although if I did have to give one piece of advice it would be to make sure the frag is secure on the rock either with puddy, glue, or both. I had a single head Euphyllia many years ago that kept getting knocked around and didn't really thrive until I secured it to the rock and it never moved again.

Also that frag looks like an octo frogspawn which is awesome.

oh sweet thanks! I looked up some pics and can indeed confirm he is an octo frogspawn! Make the deal all the much better, i guess being observant is a quality that does pay off in the end.

Will superglue work or should I use puddy? I am also reluctant to tie it down as of yet because I wanna make sure it likes the spot its in before "set it in stone" (quite literally ;))

OP
OP
thebluecatapilla

thebluecatapilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates a week later.

It looks a lot more shriveled up this week, and I don't quite know why. Here's a pic after a water change I just did. Other corals and anemone seem to be doing okay. Any tips/suggestions?

IMG_7220.JPG

knukles55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its time to put this tank in cruise control and just keep up with the maintance don't touch the coral and just watch it grow :) over time of course............ some times I look at corals and wonder why they cant be like a chia pet....... chi chi chi chiaaaaaa 1 inch frags become 8 inch frags in a week....... (one can dream)

OP
OP
thebluecatapilla

thebluecatapilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its time to put this tank in cruise control and just keep up with the maintance don't touch the coral and just watch it grow :) over time of course............ some times I look at corals and wonder why they cant be like a chia pet....... chi chi chi chiaaaaaa 1 inch frags become 8 inch frags in a week....... (one can dream)

Okay I will. I just intend to turn this thread into like a grow out thread.

kenniole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this one out.. lol it was when I first got into the hobby 3 years ago..... The lfs guy ripped my off and sold it to me for $40.00 which I thought was a great deal lol.. expanded was about the size of a dime. Never went back to that lfs again

IMAG0318.jpg

kenniole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it grew into a 100+ head colony.... Lol jk that was actually another piece I bought down the road.... The small frogspawn sadly did not make it. I was a super noob.....

IMAG0996.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 74 71.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back