Smart Tester Vial Staining

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running the Reef Factory Smart Tester now for about 4 months. Have only used the phosphate reagents. Went to service the unit today due to inconsistent results and found the test vial having an odd staining/reaction. This is what it looks like:
IMG_7648.jpeg IMG_7647.jpeg

This was after multiple attempts of cleaning. Nothing would touch it, seems like a possible acid reaction in the glass from the reagents. For only 4 months old, kinda concerning. Has anyone else seen this? Or have a solution?

J A M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running the Reef Factory Smart Tester now for about 4 months. Have only used the phosphate reagents. Went to service the unit today due to inconsistent results and found the test vial having an odd staining/reaction. This is what it looks like:
IMG_7648.jpeg IMG_7647.jpeg

This was after multiple attempts of cleaning. Nothing would touch it, seems like a possible acid reaction in the glass from the reagents. For only 4 months old, kinda concerning. Has anyone else seen this? Or have a solution?
looks like cheap glass to me.

OP
OP
JeffB418

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like cheap glass to me.
Posted this same thing to their fb group. My post was never approved but found a message in my spam folder from a mod. Basically said to soak in bleach for 24 hrs. We’ll see what that does.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Posted this same thing to their fb group. My post was never approved but found a message in my spam folder from a mod. Basically said to soak in bleach for 24 hrs. We’ll see what that does.
Can you report back on how that works. Been looking at these units to test Po4, 4 months is not a good amount of time to go before needing maintenance. Hoping it’s a simple step to fix

OP
OP
JeffB418

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if any of the folks here who have a Smart Tester are in the USA? If so - where did you purchase it? I'm looking to get one. Thanks.
Not available in US yet, I got mine sent over from a EU reseller. Honestly, you're better off saving your $.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back