Snowflake Eel Abrasion Not Going Away

holly_g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! My snowflake eel has had this abrasion for a couple months now. He seems fine, is eating and everything but I am a little concerned that it hasn't gone away.

Salinity: 1.025
Nitrate: 5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0

Anyone have concerns or recommendations on how to help this improve?

IMG_1907.jpg IMG_1909.jpg IMG_1910.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water conditions, water conditions, water conditions. It doesn't look inflamed so thats good, if it does then some action may be needed. For the time being, all that is needed is optimum water conditions and a fresh varied diet low in thiaminese and including healthy fats, I mention that because most captive eels are not getting all the proper nutrition they need. The abrasion could have scarred the pigment layer of his skin.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! My snowflake eel has had this abrasion for a couple months now. He seems fine, is eating and everything but I am a little concerned that it hasn't gone away.

Salinity: 1.025
Nitrate: 5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0

Anyone have concerns or recommendations on how to help this improve?

IMG_1907.jpg IMG_1909.jpg IMG_1910.jpg

Do you know what caused the abrasion? Is it growing larger over time? If not, it is likely just scarring and granulation tissue.

I had a snowflake that jumped out of the tank and was mostly dried when I found it. I returned it to the tank and it survived, but always had some scarring that looked exactly like your fish.

Jay

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. As long as it doesn't get red or spread farther out, I would just keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
holly_g

holly_g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what caused the abrasion? Is it growing larger over time? If not, it is likely just scarring and granulation tissue.

I had a snowflake that jumped out of the tank and was mostly dried when I found it. I returned it to the tank and it survived, but always had some scarring that looked exactly like your fish.

Jay
No, I'm not sure how it happened. I just assumed that he rubbed up against the rocks. The tank is mostly sealed so I'm not sure how he could get out. I hope it's just scarring. Thank you Jay!

OP
OP
holly_g

holly_g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water conditions, water conditions, water conditions. It doesn't look inflamed so thats good, if it does then some action may be needed. For the time being, all that is needed is optimum water conditions and a fresh varied diet low in thiaminese and including healthy fats, I mention that because most captive eels are not getting all the proper nutrition they need. The abrasion could have scarred the pigment layer of his skin.
Thanks lion king. What do you recommend feeding it that has this nutrition? He currently gets a mix of krill, clam on the half shell and silversides but he doesn't seem to like the silversides. He is mostly excited about the krill.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.2%
Back