Snowflake eel feeding and pale in color

Bolivar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a young snowflake eel about 5-6 inches long. I am hoping you all would be able to help out on a situation we have going on at the moment.

In the last few days, we had noticed our snowflake eel looked pale in color along with possible "vomit" twice.

For further explanation in detail, we normally put Zoe and Vita-chem in the food for our fish. We usually feed our eel every other day and have attempted to do the same (the Zoe and Vita-chem) for the eel in her raw shrimp feedings. She did not seem interested so we tried again without the vitamins, some success there. This morning, however, I decided to add a couple drops each of the vitamins and try again. She actually ate!! Even looked a tad better in her coloring.

Anyone out there experience or have the knowledge of what may be causing her pale skin and the vomiting? I did read in another post about diseases but I firmly believe that it is not the case. I could be wrong as to that I am very new at this...

P.S. I do want to add that I did increase the size of her shrimp portion thinking since she grew a bit that she could handle bigger sized pieces. (4 pieces to be exact. We never feed her a whole shrimp.) I was thinking maybe that's why she vomited?

OP
OP
Bolivar

Bolivar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. We just went to the LFS and bought frozen krill and silversides. We want to change it up and see if that helps.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know a lot about eels, but you may try varying his diet some. Raw clam, squid ect.

annnnd. you beat me to it... but @Humblefish will have to handle this one if it's a disease making trouble.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try some squid or octopus. Also eels aren't as susceptible to diseases as other fish are due to their slime coat, now if your water conditions are way off (talking way off) then you might have a different situation. Prazipro does work well if you think parasites are in play.

Just an idea of how hardy: mine went 3 feet down a vent and was covered in dust, dog hair, and who knows what else and is doing great.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been many years since I've kept an eel, but I remember a Tessalata I once had would regurgitate anytime it overate. It actually competed quite well for food with all my other fish. ;) I don't know if it looking pale is a problem or not; might wanna also post this in the Predatory Fish forum: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/predatory-fish-discussion.772/

I'm no longer allowed to keep eels ever since the Tessalata crawled in bed with the wife & I one night! :eek:

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been many years since I've kept an eel, but I remember a Tessalata I once had would regurgitate anytime it overate. It actually competed quite well for food with all my other fish. ;) I don't know if it looking pale is a problem or not; might wanna also post this in the Predatory Fish forum: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/predatory-fish-discussion.772/

I'm no longer allowed to keep eels ever since the Tessalata crawled in bed with the wife & I one night! :eek:
That actually happened? It crawled into the bed like a snake?

TheSaint216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you feeding. I've fed my snowflake nothing but silversides. Try feeding twice a week. Every day or every other day is to much in my opinion. I wouldn't add anything special to the food either. Mine is a foot and a half long and gets three silversides Wednesday and Saturday.

20150928_195736.jpg

OP
OP
Bolivar

Bolivar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish, thank you so much for the suggestion to post at that forum. If we continue to have issues, I will be sure post there for further advice. I just googled the tessalatas and they are beautiful! I'm sorry that you are no longer allowed to house eels, they sure are fascinating.

@TheSaint216, we feed her 3-4 pieces of raw shrimp every other day. We just bought some silversides and krill today and will be starting on that Friday. Thank you for your opinion about adding anything to the food, that was my other concern. Your snowflake eel is beautiful! It does appear healthy for a feeding schedule of only twice a week.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That actually happened? It crawled into the bed like a snake?

The DT it was being housed in sprung a leak. :eek: I setup a temp 75 gal HT in the bedroom because... there were already too many tanks all over the house. :rolleyes: To this day, my wife still gripes about that night. ;)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back