Snowflake eel in community tank, how to set up for success?

Ennvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So I really, really, really love eels. I want to get a snowflake, but I don't really have space to set up a second tank right now, so it would have to go in my reef, currently housing LPS, 2 clowns, a big goby (like 4-5 inches long) and a tomini tang. no shrimp, but lots of dwarf hermits and a few turbos. How can I set up the tank to keep the current inhabitants safe, and the eel happy? is it even possible or should i just wait until I have room for another tank? thanks in advance!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So I really, really, really love eels. I want to get a snowflake, but I don't really have space to set up a second tank right now, so it would have to go in my reef, currently housing LPS, 2 clowns, a big goby (like 4-5 inches long) and a tomini tang. no shrimp, but lots of dwarf hermits and a few turbos. How can I set up the tank to keep the current inhabitants safe, and the eel happy? is it even possible or should i just wait until I have room for another tank? thanks in advance!!
Keep the eel well fed and it should work, however the issue is your goby may become food anyway as Snowflakes are a species that will take out fish IME.

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snowflake should leave most fish alone as it is a invert eater not fish but a goby is the easiest fish food for an eel. Your hermits are food, your snails probably too.

If you want a snowflake tank with fish you can do it but you need the right fish. Fast and large bodied fish will do fine (usually) with an eel. Think wrasse, angelfish, tangs, etc. Though anything other than gobies can do well.

As for CUC get big tough snails, urchins, and brittle stars.

Here is my snowflake which lives with many other fish without incident:

Last edited:

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too would like an eel. Not exactly what you wanted to hear but thanks for the post as I will be following.

All I can relay is what I’ve found during research. Honestly it’s all pretty generic. No personal anecdotes (yet). There is a predatory fish expert on this forum who is active. Maybe someone can recall his or her username or you can find it. He/she had tons of posts on this subject.

1. They need good quality food and to be spot fed. This will limit their desire to go hunting.

2. They need tight fitting lids as they like to escape.

3. They need caves or a place to live. Make sure you have that.

Also remember no 2 fish (or eels) are the same! One can be a model citizen and one can be a problem child.

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back