So how bad is it?

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just looking to see how bad it is to find these two pests.
The first one is this large flat worm it was about 1/2-3/4 in fully expanded. I have only found this one

The next is what I believe to be a zoa eating spider. This is what I was able to pull out of the side of a zoanthid.
5ac926c7964d01a731a0bb87e86dc945.jpg

The hole that was left
47db203d45eb8c305f78078f026210a1.jpg

The dark spot at the top of the zoa
62dd51440997fa8b9e1071881e511410.jpg

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The polyclad isn't your regular small common flatworm that you see covering everything in people's tanks. I would still get it out, when you can grab it.

Can you remove the zoa colonies for dipping? The spider is an issue.

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The polyclad isn't your regular small common flatworm that you see covering everything in people's tanks. I would still get it out, when you can grab it.

Can you remove the zoa colonies for dipping? The spider is an issue.

Yes I removed them this morning for a pretty heavy 10 min iodine dip followed by a fresh water dip. Iodine is the only dip I currently have but I am planning on getting Baer later today if possible.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to have to keep removing the zoas for dips for awhile, I'm afraid, to continue to kill the babies as they hatch.

I should also warn you that they are not "zoa specific". They have a preference for them and are often brought in that way, but they will eat anything that can pop their proboscis into and suck out the juices. I've been reading that people have been beating them by constant removal and dipping.

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to have to keep removing the zoas for dips for awhile, I'm afraid, to continue to kill the babies as they hatch.

I should also warn you that they are not "zoa specific". They have a preference for them and are often brought in that way, but they will eat anything that can pop their proboscis into and suck out the juices. I've been reading that people have been beating them by constant removal and dipping.
Thank you. The good thing is that I have been inspecting all my colonies throughly and have only found evidence of this one. I will get Baer today and see how that works

Nibejeebies

R2R is the reason for my Insomia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I have read, to bet these bad boys and other nasties, no mater what dip you use, is to redip every other day to every third day for three to four weeks, as this will completely break the life cycle.
So far there isnt a dip that can kill or weaken eggs, but the repeated dips will ensure that as they hatch the infants will not mature enough to lay their own eggs and the suborn ones will eventually die off with repeated dips thus methodically wiping out their population, one decimation at a time.

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I have read, to bet these bad boys and other nasties, no mater what dip you use, is to redip every other day to every third day for three to four weeks, as this will completely break the life cycle.
So far there isnt a dip that can kill or weaken eggs, but the repeated dips will ensure that as they hatch the infants will not mature enough to lay their own eggs and the suborn ones will eventually die off with repeated dips thus methodically wiping out their population, one decimation at a time.
Thank you. so far I have only found two on two separate zoas that are on the same rock. I heavily inspected them last night and couldn't find anything. But I feel like my blue hornets may be melting from all the stress. :( They were one of my favorites but also not that rare so I can always get more.

fishboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two spiders probably equals eggs. Don't know the hatching cycle but if they sink there sucking tubes into any softys they can, I would be getting after it. I sure wouldn't wait to find more.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best treatment for seaspiders is Interceptor. Might take a little while it depends on how bad it is.

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best treatment for seaspiders is Interceptor. Might take a little while it depends on how bad it is.
thanks. I have dipped all the effected corals and have yet to see anymore. To bad because both of the zoa frags they bit melted. Thats the way this hobby goes some times I guess.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 83 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 64 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 13.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back