So I found a STEAL of a complete haul of corals. Let me know what you think.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay true but don't switch it up now cuz somebody saw a montipora
A rather nice monti that would be shame to lose because he wasn't ready. Imo, Things can die pretty fast if you don't know what to look for or do. Water changes will get him pretty far, but idk his experience level. Trying to help. Personally, I suggest he have his lfs friend frag a piece and keep a backup in a different system. Just in case

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid advice
A rather nice monti that would be shame to lose because he wasn't ready. Imo, Things can die pretty fast if you don't know what to look for or do. Water changes will get him pretty far, but idk his experience level. Trying to help. Personally, I suggest he have his lfs friend frag a piece and keep a backup in a different system. Just in case

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammer is a huge colony

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231020_213322_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231020_213322_Chrome.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough,I must have missed it. Have you kept hard corals before? Are you familiar with and prepared to accommodate their requirements?
Yeah I’ve been reading a lot, need a lot of light I’m told which is why I placed the bowser right at the top and am thinking about adding an additional radion XR30 in the middle of my 2 15s. But other then that, I’m lacking quite a lot of knowledge which is why I’m trying to stay away from buying more. Could you give me a rundown on how you run your hard corals ? Would be very appreciated. Along with food regiment as well! I’m open to every piece of I formation your willing to take the time to give me ! Thanks a lot

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid advice
My experience level is not high by any means. But I have a young friend who has been working in a reef store for 10 years and doing private client tank mal rance for 5 and he’s been teaching me a lot. I mean my parameters are perfect, and my water changes are frequent.
Fair enough,I must have missed it. Have you kept hard corals before? Are you familiar with and prepared to accommodate their requirements?
My experience level is not high by any means. But I have a young friend who has been working in a reef store for 10 years and doing private client tank mal rance for 5 and he’s been teaching me a lot. I mean my parameters are perfect, and my water changes are frequent.. But I’m very very very open and would be greatful for any info you could take the time to help me out with. Like feeding, ect. I know they need a lot of light which Is why I’m thinking of getting a radion XR30 to put in the middle of my two XR15. Thank you ! And let me know for any other information

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve been reading a lot, need a lot of light I’m told which is why I placed the bowser right at the top and am thinking about adding an additional radion XR30 in the middle of my 2 15s. But other then that, I’m lacking quite a lot of knowledge which is why I’m trying to stay away from buying more. Could you give me a rundown on how you run your hard corals ? Would be very appreciated. Along with food regiment as well! I’m open to every piece of I formation your willing to take the time to give me ! Thanks a lot
That's a loaded question if I ever heard one And there's a lot of people more qualified to answer it than me. Especially given that I know absolutely nothing about your system... there are many ways to effectively run a reef tank. But the 1st thing I would immediately do,in your position, would be to have your more experienced friend frag and keep a piece of that monti and other sps in his tank as backup. They can be very unforgiving.
but the bare basics are regular water changes and careful observation everyday, and constant research. Research acclimating coral, typically you don't add coral from a different system and blast them with high light right away, they can sometimes take several weeks to adapt to a change in lighting/ parameters. Dont play with (adjust) lights for no reason, pick a setting and stick with it. Dont know tank size but 2 xr15s should get you a long way, research successful settings on similar tank and stick with it. When shading becomes a issue add more lights, adding 2 more 15's would likely be better than 1 xr30, but this is likely a long way away.. Start testing parameters and keeping a log of parameters, observations and adjustments made. This will be invaluable information later. Regular testing/logging will show long term trends in parameters. At some point, if corals are doing well, elements will continue to trend downward regardless of water changes. Research awc, dosing elements, calcium reactor, ask questions-decide how you wish to proceed. Research quarantine protocol and decide your path. Feed fish a varied/plentiful diet(they will feed corals), maintain nutrients; DON'T BOTTOM OUT. Figure out and set up fail safes in the event of power loss, equipment failure, etc. Nothing worse than having a thriving tank die because you lost power for a day or 10 because you weren't ready.
I think that's pretty good, unbiased advice; Should keep you busy for a while ;-)

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a loaded question if I ever heard one And there's a lot of people more qualified to answer it than me. Especially given that I know absolutely nothing about your system... there are many ways to effectively run a reef tank. But the 1st thing I would immediately do,in your position, would be to have your more experienced friend frag and keep a piece of that monti and other sps in his tank as backup. They can be very unforgiving.
but the bare basics are regular water changes and careful observation everyday, and constant research. Research acclimating coral, typically you don't add coral from a different system and blast them with high light right away, they can sometimes take several weeks to adapt to a change in lighting/ parameters. Dont play with (adjust) lights for no reason, pick a setting and stick with it. Dont know tank size but 2 xr15s should get you a long way, research successful settings on similar tank and stick with it. When shading becomes a issue add more lights, adding 2 more 15's would likely be better than 1 xr30, but this is likely a long way away.. Start testing parameters and keeping a log of parameters, observations and adjustments made. This will be invaluable information later. Regular testing/logging will show long term trends in parameters. At some point, if corals are doing well, elements will continue to trend downward regardless of water changes. Research awc, dosing elements, calcium reactor, ask questions-decide how you wish to proceed. Research quarantine protocol and decide your path. Feed fish a varied/plentiful diet(they will feed corals), maintain nutrients; DON'T BOTTOM OUT. Figure out and set up fail safes in the event of power loss, equipment failure, etc. Nothing worse than having a thriving tank die because you lost power for a day or 10 because you weren't ready.
I think that's pretty good, unbiased advice; Should keep you busy for a while ;-)
Well thank you so much for the info and taking the time to write that out I very appreciate it. I have an app which I’ve been marking all my parameters down almost every 2 days. Everything I’d honestly great at the moment and I’m dosing alkalinity and calcium and Bacto blend. I also have Carbon sick in my sump along with a reactor with ROWA. My current parameters are 1.8 nitrate, 490 calcium, 7.3 alkalinity, 0.009 phosphates. I guess I’m not AS much as a rookie as I assumed I was but still a crazy long way to go. Always nice to get info from others ! I will get a fail safe incase of power outage which is very smart and I never even thought of that! Also when it comes to how I introduced my new corals, I soaked them in revive which is reef safe to make sure they didn’t have any parasites, I do currently have some aiptasia which I’m trying to handle but not really sure how too but I’m figuring it out.. with lighting, it’s very interesting how you say I should decrease the lighting cycle with adding new corals, I wasn’t sure this had to be done as they were coming from another tank and not the wild, but will defiantly look into it. Thanks a lot !

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it's a steal those corals have some serious weight to them. Not huge pieces but almost! Filling a tank with high end coral costs a lot more than 900$.
I just lost a whole coral QT with about $900 worth of frags and colonies in it. Pretty bummed. Glad the OP got a great deal l. I hope everything is going well and the tank is thriving

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes!! How?
Not sure. My quarantine tank was probably overloaded. I might have had an invert die in there and pollute the tank. It’s a pretty small and not very stable or mature QT and I had a lot in there. I’m away for work and just got a picture from my wife of the tank full of white skeletons so I’ll have to assess tonight when I get home.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...If nothing else this thread is pretty funny.
I kinda chuckled at I’m into this hobby for 30k I thought he had a 2000 gallon tank or something. It’s far from cheap but that’s a tad excessive.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You keep track of how much you’ve spent? I do my best not to know how much I’ve spent.
Not at all lol… the op said that in one of his comments… I’d guess I’m into around 10k with a large tank.

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all lol… the op said that in one of his comments… I’d guess I’m into around 10k with a large tank.
I was getting in **** from my gf today about how much we’ve spent. Waterbox infinitia 226 and Ai hydras64s x 5 there’s 10k. Livestock, contoller, return pump & skimmer, refugium light etc… and QT set ups…. Yeah I’m ****** lol

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting in **** from my gf today about how much we’ve spent. Waterbox infinitia 226 and Ai hydras64s x 5 there’s 10k. Livestock, contoller, return pump & skimmer, refugium light etc… and QT set ups…. Yeah I’m ****** lol
lol… I buy used! I got my 300 with 125 gallon hybrid sump, stand, mp40’s, controllers, everything rock, sand, etc minus lights for $3,500… 8 months old so practically brand new still… I lit my tank for $40 with metal halides that nobody wants anymore and I roll old school! The rest of the money I’ve spent is on live stock. Over 5k easily.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back