So I might've made a mistake.. 40 Gallon W Clownfish

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been going to a LFS and over time i finally gave in and started a saltwater tank on Feb 8 Thursday i Added My 40 gallon, premixed saltwater, Live rock and Live sand from my LFS. Put it my heater and wave makers and two hob filters one was given to me by my neighbor with media and purigen in a filter bag already in it. The next day i added dr tims one and only like the fish store said too and let it sit for a few days then add a fish or two. So i did just that. My water is at 32ppm and 1.024 salinity. The ph is 8.2 im currently waiting for my ammonia and nitrate and nitrite testing kits to come in the mail this week. I got the sailfert brand. Upon doing more research i believe i shouldve waited longer to add fish and wait for my nitrogen cycle to pass but they said adding the pair would help kick start the cycle. What should i do now to continue to keep these beautiful fish alive? How often should i change/clean the water?

my build post w pictures https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/40-gallon-clownfish-tank.1035449/

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef, and you're learning a valuable lesson to take what your LFS says with a grain of salt (some give good advice, but many others give really bad advice).

That said, hopefully others will chime in for you here, but having used Dr. Tim's and presumably actually live rock (i.e. rock that has soaked long enough to have nitrifying bacteria on it), your tank likely is cycled. Personally, I'd probably make sure you've got good aeration in the tank and add a bunch more of the Dr. Tim's bacteria to be safe, then make sure the tank is processing ammonia once you get your test kit.

OP
OP
soarer209

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef, and you're learning a valuable lesson to take what your LFS says with a grain of salt (some give good advice, but many others give really bad advice).

That said, hopefully others will chime in for you here, but having used Dr. Tim's and presumably actually live rock (i.e. rock that has soaked long enough to have nitrifying bacteria on it), your tank likely is cycled. Personally, I'd probably make sure you've got good aeration in the tank and add a bunch more of the Dr. Tim's bacteria to be safe, then make sure the tank is processing ammonia once you get your test kit.
Most defiantly! My neighbor has given me some good advice i believe. So adding more dr tims wont hurt anything ya? And is there anything else i can add to the tank to help with removing ammonia and nitrites? i have some purigen in my filter but anything else you guys recommend would be appreciated !

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So adding more dr tims wont hurt anything ya? And is there anything else i can add to the tank to help with removing ammonia and nitrites?
Adding more shouldn't hurt (it should just help convert the ammonia to nitrite), and nitrites aren't harmful in saltwater (just fresh), so there's no need to worry about them.

As long as your tank is cycled and you have some rocks for the nitrifying bacteria to colonize, you should be fine without adding anything else. Water changes and your standard filtration should be enough (you can fine tune the filtration to keep nitrate and phosphate in check once you get your test kits).

Also, to give you some peace of mind with the ammonia while you wait:

OP
OP
soarer209

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding more shouldn't hurt (it should just help convert the ammonia to nitrite), and nitrites aren't harmful in saltwater (just fresh), so there's no need to worry about them.

As long as your tank is cycled and you have some rocks for the nitrifying bacteria to colonize, you should be fine without adding anything else. Water changes and your standard filtration should be enough (you can fine tune the filtration to keep nitrate and phosphate in check once you get your test kits).

Also, to give you some peace of mind with the ammonia while you wait:
Thank you i have no idea nitrites werent that harmful in saltwater.. how often do i water change? just depends on nitrate and phosphate?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you i have no idea nitrites werent that harmful in saltwater.. how often do i water change? just depends on nitrate and phosphate?
Some people do it that way; I think most do it on a schedule (like 10% or so weekly).

Randy Holmes-Farley has written quite a bit about Nitrites in reef tanks, but here are some relevant quotes:
No. Nitrite at 1 ppm is not toxic.
In a not fully cycled system, nitrite might possible get high enough to be an issue and I wouldn't put in fish at 10+ ppm nitrite. The lowest tox level I've seen reported for rapid toxicity of nitrite to fish >100 ppm. The 10 ppm gives a protective buffer.

Nitrite and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive been going to a LFS and over time i finally gave in and started a saltwater tank on Feb 8 Thursday i Added My 40 gallon, premixed saltwater, Live rock and Live sand from my LFS. Put it my heater and wave makers and two hob filters one was given to me by my neighbor with media and purigen in a filter bag already in it. The next day i added dr tims one and only like the fish store said too and let it sit for a few days then add a fish or two. So i did just that. My water is at 32ppm and 1.024 salinity. The ph is 8.2 im currently waiting for my ammonia and nitrate and nitrite testing kits to come in the mail this week. I got the sailfert brand. Upon doing more research i believe i shouldve waited longer to add fish and wait for my nitrogen cycle to pass but they said adding the pair would help kick start the cycle. What should i do now to continue to keep these beautiful fish alive? How often should i change/clean the water?

my build post w pictures https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/40-gallon-clownfish-tank.1035449/
Typically. you want to add ammonia chloride. Then add your denitrifying bacteria. When the ammonia rises then falls and holds a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should i start a schedule now or wait and make sure my cycle is fully complete?
Personally, I'd probably do a water change now, then add more bacteria, then worry about getting on a proper schedule for water changes after you've gotten your test kits and can measure your parameters.

OP
OP
soarer209

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically. you want to add ammonia chloride. Then add your denitrifying bacteria. When the ammonia rises then falls and holds a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled.
okay it was at 20 today when i tested nitrate should i test it again in a few days or tomorrow?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
soarer209

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay ill check again in 48 hours and ill go buy more of dr tims to put in this weekend or sooner. On a good note my clownfish are acting normal and seem healthy..

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
okay ill check again in 48 hours and ill go buy more of dr tims to put in this weekend or sooner. On a good note my clownfish are acting normal and seem healthy..
Dr Tim’s or micro bacter XLM very good

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most will suggest to hold off on coral for a few months until the tank stabilizes. Corals are not easy, and require research and preparation in advance for success. (and they don't filter water, not in the way that we consider "filtering" to mean cleaning the water)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back