So maybe you guys can explain this to me(Touchy subject)

rmhuntley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what the heck is up w/ all the dang school shootings recently.... aren't we up to like 4 in the past 2 weeks, NOT counting the one in Canada? Are we really all SO ticked off that th only solution is to walk into a school yard and start blowing children away?(they're not THAT bad).
What makes it worse, at least for me, is the apparent lack of any ability to stop this from happening... We can't have metal detectors posted at EVERY door to the school, that would be unrealistic, not to mention guards to man the detectors. Locking the doors would be a big no-no.. even w/ the emergency bars that would open when pushed outwards.......
Yet they virtually strip-search you before you get on a plane, and now you can't take anything liquid onboard a flight., not to mention nail clippers or anything that could be REMOTELY dangerous if used in a creative way.

I'm at the point where I wouldn't consider myself that unreasonable if I pulled both my kids out of school and home schooled them( And I'd learn 'um good, boy....)

(deep breath)....ok, I think I'm finished, thanks for listening to me rant.

-R

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah its unreal-all the more reason I believe this world won't be around to much longer-people are rediculous....

furforfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the fact that it keeps happening has a bit to do with the media. Kids keep seeing these events on tv and realize that they too could be on tv and get tons of attention if they shot up their school. I'm not saying the solution would be to ignore these events and not televise them, I just think it has something to do with the cause.

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not kids killing kids its adults killing kids-we are way to easy on people who commit serious crimes, just my two cents (anyone got any PPE for that price?)

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I think the answer isn't in technology or funding for the technology, I think we have seen THAT with the TSA... <giggle>

On a serious note, I think the answer lies in truly listening to our kids; and making sure they have a voice at school. Teaching compromise.... teaching to agree to disagree... kicking out kids who are violent or who think it is cool to be violent. Making the statement that we have rules and that we are all bound to abide with the number one rule of all: Not hurting others, including feelings as well as bodies. When kids feel hurt and powerless to be heard (As well as adults) it can be REALLY bad if they have ANYTHING else going on mentally... and it teaches those without associated diagnoses to behave in ways that leave them with an external loci of control. (ie- "My actions are not my fault -I can't help it- it was bound to happen that way sooner than later" versus "I am responsible for my choices or reactions to outside events beyond my control")

Adults killing kids are the general product of kids who have grown up in the increasing innurement we all have to violence and therefore its implied acceptance in our society. They see kids as the only way for them to succeed in needing to act out their impulses.

Albert Bandura first said in the 70's (with his studies in human aggression and role modeling) taht discipline modeling aggrerssion, or the nonreaction of authority figures to violence, sets up a chain reaction in children to perpetuate violence... Oone only has to look at the Middle East to see where that gets you. Saddens me that we can't put the brakes on it before it gets that way for us in the distant future.

JMHO :(
Laurie

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 44 38.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 59 51.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back