So much for being venomous. See this barracuda !!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is crazy to see what a barracuda does to a lionfish :

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Guessing this wasn't from your trip? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Barracudas... the coyotes of the sea!
Oh ... no but there are Hawaii pics already posted.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
On your build thread, or...? (R2R is bad for sending out notifications on updates)

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I can't get over how fat and plump those cleaner wrasses are...
All fish were fat and plentiful. Still awed by number and size of the yellow tangs and the many butterfly fish we saw

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Last edited:

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats crazy about that video is how that barricuda is hanging around the end of that spear like he knows whats coming. Reminds me of my knucklehead fish when i get within 10' of my tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is crazy to see what a barracuda does to a lionfish :

There are natural predators to lionfish, eels and sharks, as well as other scorps and some others. The venom does not affect them. These lion hunters will feed fish like barracuda,s and groupers which would not normally be natural predators to lionfish. Many other fish will dine on injured lionfish, like triggers.

The venom of lionfish is kind of misunderstood, I've known people scream in pain and even end up in the er. While I've been stung and other than the puncture pain, once I run hot water over it, its just a tight feeling for about a day.

In our tanks it all depends on the indivual fish how badly they will be affected. The depth and position of the puncture, a gut injury can prove deadly, as it likely hits the organ. A large size fish that doesn't get a deep body wound would will likely be no worse for the wear.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
There are natural predators to lionfish, eels and sharks, as well as other scorps and some others. The venom does not affect them. These lion hunters will feed fish like barracuda,s and groupers which would not normally be natural predators to lionfish. Many other fish will dine on injured lionfish, like triggers.

The venom of lionfish is kind of misunderstood, I've known people scream in pain and even end up in the er. While I've been stung and other than the puncture pain, once I run hot water over it, its just a tight feeling for about a day.

In our tanks it all depends on the indivual fish how badly they will be affected. The depth and position of the puncture, a gut injury can prove deadly, as it likely hits the organ. A large size fish that doesn't get a deep body wound would will likely be no worse for the wear.
been stung at least twice and I expected worse from sting - agree

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about lion fish venom and am glad I have not been exposed. I think that the barracuda looked like it got exposed in the first bite, shivered and spit it out. Then it came back and took a more calculated bite and as it was swallowing the lion it looks like it got poked a few more times. It swims like it was slightly paralyzed in the front part of its body and the caudal fin is working a bit more to keep the fish moving forward and it lurches away. I think that was not the first lionfish that it had eaten but it confirmed the reports that they are good eating.

I’m glad to see it cleaning up after the mess that we caused moving fish around where they were not found before.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't get over the idiot putting his camera in the cuda's face at the 30 second mark. He's lucky that he still has both hands.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 62 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 47 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back