So, recently my tang died. Could any of these be a cause of death? Microscope Pics.

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a copepod? Harmless?
IMG_20210830_155707602~2.jpg

A ciliate? Is it harmful?

IMG_20210830_155115477~2.jpg

Guessing these are a type of dinoflagellate. Harmful?

No idea what this is...

And this is my tangs Flesh...after he died. Thinking he may have died from flesh eating worms or flukes.
IMG_20210826_162025862_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first image and video is of a copepodite - larval copepod. Most are harmless.

The next one does seem like a ciliate. I don't know of any elongate ciliates that are parasitic, except one barrel shaped one I've seen in freshwater.

The last image - could just be detritus. Was anything moving? Nematode worms can sometimes be an issue, but they would be moving (unless the fish had been dead more than a couple of hours).

Jay

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first image and video is of a copepodite - larval copepod. Most are harmless.

The next one does seem like a ciliate. I don't know of any elongate ciliates that are parasitic, except one barrel shaped one I've seen in freshwater.

The last image - could just be detritus. Was anything moving? Nematode worms can sometimes be an issue, but they would be moving (unless the fish had been dead more than a couple of hours).

Jay
Yeah last image...He was dead when I woke up, they weren't moving when I examined the sample. Definitely not detritus. Took the flesh straight from the tang without the addition of water in the sample after I peeled the skin back. Each slide was well cleaned and de-dusted afterwards. Used sterile tools that were cleaned with alcohol and then dried.

Do you know what the yellow things are with the clear "skin" around it is? I keep finding them, there's alot. From the dinoflagellate video.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back