herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the Fluval 13g holding tank that kept some zoas and our clownfish pair going during our 2018 move from Los Angeles to Orange County (CA) is ready to be retired, as we've started purchases for the new tank, 48” long x 24" deep x 15" tall, rimless, approximately 75g. After keeping a tall 90g square (24" deep) with a canopy, the mrs. and I decided shallow open-top is the way to go. Looking at SPS dominated tank and a clam. Captive-bred fish only.

Let's get the big equipment out of the way:

-48x24x15, 3 side low iron glass, 4 1" bulkeads centered (2 drains, two returns) - my LA LFS Vivid Aquariums is sourcing the tank from Visio and a local carpenter for the stand)
-Trigger Systems Ruby 36 sump
-Trigger Systems Ruby 10 ATO
-COR-15 return pump (I'm in the Apex ecosystem)
-2x existing Tunze 6095s plugged into the Apex (would not be surprised if that pump count increases)
-existing floats and Apex utility pump for top off
-likely a Royal Exclusiv Double Cone 150 DC, unless Dave "Grohl" Burr talks me into a Nyos (long shot but never say never)
-2x XR15 Pro (maybe Blues?), single arm RMS mount on each, mounted at 1/3 and 2/3 tank length
-clear view lids top
-36" stand to match nearby kitchen cabinets

Sump and ATO should arrive in the next week or two, I got a GREAT deal on some blemished pieces. Tank and stand order to be placed this week with 6-8 week delivery, so be patient! I promise this thread won't be abandoned cause it's going to be a good time! But you know, equipment delivery, planning, spousal cajoling (not needed, thankfully!) install, you know nothing happens quickly in this hobby!

In the meantime, here's a few pictures of where the shallow beauty will go, see the orange arrow. Stand to match house doors, shaker style (KEF in-walls, to answer the inevitable next question).

Cheers!
Curt

IMG_1911.JPEG IMG_1912.JPEG IMG_1913.JPEG

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always exciting to start the dream....good luck and update us. I'm in so cal to and have used vivid also.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not needing a ladder for maintenance is a really big part of that dream! :p SoCal cheers.
I like the look of shallow long reef tanks also. I use XR15 pro lights and really like them. I have all ecotech components so everything is on one app for ease of use.

OP
OP
herozero

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Gen1 Radions years ago, I'm super excited to see the improvements, especially w/o the reeflink and that whole architecture. I had MP10s but they were a lot louder than expected, I bet those quiet drive ones are much quieter. We like the Tunze's but only with the requisite effort to creatively hide in-tank cables. Mobius looks like a nice app.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Gen1 Radions years ago, I'm super excited to see the improvements, especially w/o the reeflink and that whole architecture. I had MP10s but they were a lot louder than expected, I bet those quiet drive ones are much quieter. We like the Tunze's but only with the requisite effort to creatively hide in-tank cables. Mobius looks like a nice app.
I use MP40s and Vectra M2. Both are very quiet. I like mobius because everything is on one app and easily modified. Wifi would improve it over Bluetooth though. You will like the gen 6 lights I'm sure but I would get pros over blues. You can always cut back the white if you don't want that much. I use the AB plus program.

OP
OP
herozero

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of shallow long reef tanks also. I use XR15 pro lights and really like them. I have all ecotech components so everything is on one app for ease of use.
re: shallow reef, I promise we're not just lazy reefkeepers--although we subscribe to work smarter not harder--, but when I first got hooked into keeping a saltwater tank it was almost an easier way to get a piece of the ocean in your life without the time and resource suck of diving (unless someone wants to sponsor me to Costa Rica?). A deep tank just instantly made you feel on a drift dive.

The lagoon dimension beyond ease of cleaning reminds me more of a snorkeling outing or a rocky mixed bottom easy dive, mellow, not too dangerous and the life comes to you!

OP
OP
herozero

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
received the new Apex base unit, replacing a classic, big fan. Quick thoughts: 1) finally, local and Fusion UIs are the same. 2) everything is faster. Menu nav, program uploads, whether local or Fusion, everything is faster. 3) Lots of quality of life upgrades, instead of system logic descriptions for modules, numbers and addresses, it's finally broken down into human readable ease 4) wifi, wifi, wifi. Ditching whatever bridge-mode wifi device you have plugged into your classic is worth it, not to mention no more LAN cable/static IP changes shenanigans for software updates. 5) Alexa support! Not sure if this was available in Classic but I was excited to see that menu option. 6) didn’t get rid of any other modules, but I like having the salinity option. My tunzes still enjoy those built in VDM ports. 7) new unit saw all my modules, minimal tinkering (granted it’s a holding tank with 3 open outlets but still).

Trigger sump and ATO arrives tomorrow, the journey continues …

Last edited:
OP
OP
herozero

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to this coming together.

Vivid and LAX Aquariums I would say are two of our best shops local.

I'm planning to host another barbecue/ frag swap early winter up in Simi Valley if you'd like to come. The last one was quite successful.
Sign me up.

OP
OP
herozero

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
… it’s gorgeous…

031FDD2B-6C37-40D6-9E6A-EFFEC1CC448B.jpeg
0C6DF27D-F527-44E7-B7AD-EA4E7C0E0D2E.jpeg
BCA1FE74-D9B7-4363-8EBA-76A4BFA57192.jpeg
No need to scroll back and find the equipment post, that’s a Trigger Systems Ruby 36 sump on the left and a Ruby ATO 10, both from their blemished store. I’m a little shocked these are considered “blemished” but I’m not gonna tell ‘em how to do their business. Quality and attention to detail is really something. Comments and questions welcome.

The brown and white is Harley, the tan and white is Pepper.

Gotta call back my live rock guy, and finalize this invoice with Vivid, and then and then, make this too legit to quit … it’s been stuck in my head all day I don’t know why.
Cheers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
herozero

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Former? I know it can be painful to be a Padre fan.
They traded A-Gone when I moved to LA, so a combination of trading away their stars, not knowing anyone on their roster and the team just being happy with mediocrity in a beautiful stadium (Petco is awesome) made me give them up.

I still have the photo Nana took of five year old me with Tony Gwynn on the warning track at The Murph, for what it’s worth.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back