soda ash dosing tube location. (Precip issue)

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short. I dose soda ash to keep my ph up to an acceptable level and I run a canister filter, so I do not have the option to run the dosing line into a sump. No matter where I put my dosing line in my tank the soda ash turns into snow and ends up covering my rocks. I have got to the point where I just put the lines underwater directly in front of the outlet from my canister filter and just clean the tips occasionally. Does anybody have a way around this? To clarify also... I am talking about it turning into snow not the white poof lol.

Should I just switch to sodium bicarbonate and put my co2 scrubber back online to help correct my ph issue? I quit using it because it jacked my ph up to 8.4 and I though it was my precipitation issue.

Parameters
ph 8.0-8.2
alk 10-10.7( would probably be more stable without the snow lol)
calcium 430-450
mag 1450-1500

doser.JPG

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
USUALLY, its best for the alkalinity (whether bicarb or carbonate) - to 'drip' into an area of high flow.

Having said that - have you checked your Mg? it should be at a proper level to prevent precipitation (or at least help prevent precipitation). Also - try to separate - either in 'distance' or in 'time' - the dosing of your Ca and alkalinity.

Hope this helps. PS - have you measured your Ca, and alkalinity?

OP
OP
R

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USUALLY, its best for the alkalinity (whether bicarb or carbonate) - to 'drip' into an area of high flow.

Having said that - have you checked your Mg? it should be at a proper level to prevent precipitation (or at least help prevent precipitation). Also - try to separate - either in 'distance' or in 'time' - the dosing of your Ca and alkalinity.

Hope this helps. PS - have you measured your Ca, and alkalinity?
Thanks for the reply. I dose my calcium and alk 30 mins apart hourly. My alk just tested at 10.7 right at lights on. I just tested both calcium and mag right after you asked and calcium is 430-440 (red sea kit) and mag is 1470-1500 (aqua forest)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I dose my calcium and alk 30 mins apart hourly. My alk just tested at 10.7 right at lights on. I just tested both calcium and mag right after you asked and calcium is 430-440 (red sea kit) and mag is 1470-1500 (aqua forest)
are they going into a high flow area? Could you set your doser such that they are not so close together (timing wise)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - do you have any other pumps/flow in the tank - how big is the tank?

OP
OP
R

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are they going into a high flow area? Could you set your doser such that they are not so close together (timing wise)
I had precipitation even when I dosed calcium every few days. Maybe it will help if you know that I dose 52 ml/day red sea sodium carbonate and 19 ml/day red sea calcium. The tank has 17 sps frags (Doing well) and 10 lps frags that are also doing well. All growing.

OP
OP
R

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not when I put the nozzle right in front of the canister filter outlet lol even though I still get some buildup on the rocks that way. When I have the nozzles mounted out of the water and it drops into the tank it is alot. Looks like an actual snow storm in there haha. I worry about having my nozzles in the water because eventually I feel like I am going to miss it clogging and my alk is going to crash.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not when I put the nozzle right in front of the canister filter outlet lol even though I still get some buildup on the rocks that way. When I have the nozzles mounted out of the water and it drops into the tank it is alot. Looks like an actual snow storm in there haha. I worry about having my nozzles in the water because eventually I feel like I am going to miss it clogging and my alk is going to crash.
It looks like that temporarily for everyone. For example - if you look at some of the BRS videos - when they pour alkalinity in - it looks like snow. But - the flow quickly re-dissolves it. IMHO - you don't have enough flow in the areas where you're dosing - perhaps not enough in the tank in general?

OP
OP
R

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched it last time and it seemed like I could see the solidified pieces floating around for more than a few seconds. I might try diluting the alk with ro/di then dosing double. If that doesn’t work I’ll probably switch to bicarb and hook the co2 scrubber up.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I watched it last time and it seemed like I could see the solidified pieces floating around for more than a few seconds. I might try diluting the alk with ro/di then dosing double. If that doesn’t work I’ll probably switch to bicarb and hook the co2 scrubber up.
What is the goal with the CO2 scrubber? A CO2 scrubber will increase the pH. I do not think that is going to help the issue

OP
OP
R

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I switch to bicarb and my ph drops I will use the co2 scrubber to keep ph up. When I was running it my ph was .2 higher which is about what it should go down switching to bicarb correct? Thanks for your help so far also!

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 76 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 77 29.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 54 20.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.2%
Back