OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think any large organism was in the tank. I thought he just accidentally used splashless bleach, and now he thinks his rocks and sand is no good anymore.
Not sure what you mean by large or against?? The tank was up for about 2 1/2 years fully stocked with beautiful angels, tangs and triggers…..so yes it was established and thus had organisms in it….

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean by large or against?? The tank was up for about 2 1/2 years fully stocked with beautiful angels, tangs and triggers…..so yes it was established and thus had organisms in it….
Why would you add bleach to a tank full of fish?

I thought you removed the fish prior to adding the bleach.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo shows accumulation after just 15 minutes….I’m tired.

It’s obvious I’m going to have to drain the tank. Do you think the bleach had done its job in 27 hours or should I wait longer (dont know how much longer I can keep up with this mess!)….thx!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 34

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course I removed the fish before! By organisms I thought yu meant things like accumulated fauna, worms in sand etc.

We did. Never add bleach with organisms present unless you want to kill them all.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course I removed the fish before! By organisms I thought yu meant things like accumulated fauna, worms in sand etc.
OK. Let’s just take a deep breath for a second. I understand the situation completely.

@Randy Holmes-Farley @Flame2hawk

He added (splashless) bleach to an empty tank (besides for micro fauna).

Now, flame2hawk: how much bleach did you add to your 650 gal tank?

The concern is that he is afraid the splash less bleach will ruin his rocks/sand. Am I correct, @Flame2hawk ?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By adding the ingredients needed to achieve the higher viscosity for its Splash-Less formula, Clorox altered the concentration of sodium hypochlorite to a variable 1%-5%. According to the Clorox website, the company's regular bleach, absent the sudsing agent, has a sodium hypochlorite concentration between 5% and 6.5%.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sudsing agent added to achieve higher viscosity for splashless.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you just add bleach to a normal reef tank? Rocks, organisms, corals, everything?

How much?

To kill parasites you will kill everything.
It’s a FOWLR tank with about 500-550 lbs of live rock and 100 lbs of live sand. What’s left in tank is about 65 lbs of sand and 100 lbs of live rock. I will sterilize the 450lbs of rock taken out separately…as soon as i have time To do so and not spend all my time taking out suds….I used approximately 1 3/4 gallons.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the SDS for the Hdx splash less product.

Attachments

• ddc9d6b7-8e8a-42a3-ab38-93008e249e4e.pdf
    182.8 KB · Views: 31

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confused on what to do next as these suds are out of control?
Put on long gloves.
Add laundry.
Agitate for 15 minutes,
Drain and rinse with fresh water.
Repete until foaming stops.
Remove laundry, tumble dry low or hang on a line for natural recovery.

laundry GIF

Good luck with this interesting development. The bleach has killed everything you need to worry about. The humor of the situation is probably lost on you at the moment but once your tank is back running you should revisit this thread and be thankful for the helpful folks on here. :cool:

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By adding the ingredients needed to achieve the higher viscosity for its Splash-Less formula, Clorox altered the concentration of sodium hypochlorite to a variable 1%-5%. According to the Clorox website, the company's regular bleach, absent the sudsing agent, has a sodium hypochlorite concentration between 5% and 6.5%.
Thx. Doesn’t say soap though? Then why all the suds?

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we agreeing that 27 hours is enough time to kil everything and that the next step is draining the tank, rinsing it with tap water, draining again. Fill with RODI saltwater? The problem i see with that is the chlomaine and contaminants in tap water staying behind. To combat that, I would probably fill it with freshwater RO, treat it with prime, then convert to saltwater in the DT. What do you think?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Myristamine oxide is an amine oxide based zwitterionic surfactant with a C14 (tetradecyl) alkyl tail. It is used as a foam stabilizer and hair conditioning agent in some shampoos and conditioners. Like other amine oxide based surfactants it is antimicrobial, being slightly more effective than lauryldimethylamine oxide against the common bacteria S. aureus and E. coli.[1]

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I deliver chemicals , specifically about half a million to a million lbs a week of caustic and hypo. We go to the bleach plants, the power plants and to industrial chemical plants with these products daily. . I have yet to see a splashless bleach plant that does not add a surfactant most also add fragrances. This bleach has zero industrial uses as it’s disinfecting qualities are very weak as usually it’s only 1 percent hypo. It’s easy money for Chlorox and costs less to produce per gallon

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back