Some of my Acro Collection

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an excellent mix and should do the job. Just make sure to get some kind of warmer while you mature your batch

Personally I have narrowed down to 3 of the best bottled bacteria to zeobak (expensive), Aquaforest Pro Bio S, and Prodibio Biodigest. The only one I have seen reports of tested by Aquabiomics is Prodibio Biodigest. That stuff is like a mature reef in a bottle and every time I dose a vial alone, my corals fluff up the next day.
Prodibio.jpg
Don't want to derail into a rabbit hole but what is that test report? Is it based on a sample of sterilized water with BioDigest put into it? Or is it just a mature reef. Or even better is it a pure sample of prodibio?

Just curious because I recall Salem Clemens of reef builders lamenting that no bottled bacteria that he knows of actually/claim to contain benthic bacteria. I totally may have misunderstood. I'm not a bacteriologist but looking at that list I see "oceanospirillales" which I'm assuming it's benthic cause its got like the word "ocean" in it Lol. Whether that's even meaningful is a different discussion.

Asking to learn here lol... Maybe Allan can chime in.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the two last batches, I've tried heating it to 90F. I used what I already had: a seedling heating pad. It's digital and has a probe. I set it to 90F and taped the probe to the glass jar. Laser reading has been reading pretty consistently at 88F. Just another option out there. Response from the corals has been great.
I thought about this as an option any idea which one you have?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't want to derail into a rabbit hole but what is that test report? Is it based on a sample of sterilized water with BioDigest put into it? Or is it just a mature reef. Or even better is it a pure sample of prodibio?

Just curious because I recall Salem Clemens of reef builders lamenting that no bottled bacteria that he knows of actually/claim to contain benthic bacteria. I totally may have misunderstood. I'm not a bacteriologist but looking at that list I see "oceanospirillales" which I'm assuming it's benthic cause its got like the word "ocean" in it Lol. Whether that's even meaningful is a different discussion.

Totally agree I'm extremely skeptical (to say the least) of that diversity of bacteria being what's in biodigest (or if so it being alive).

I think there would be a lot of challenges selectively growing oceanic bacteria. A whole heck of a lot easier to get live rock, sand, or mud.

Sushitheshiba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of you reefers that use the concoction tried “splitting” the dose into separate feedings? Like half in the morning and half at night? Just checking to see if there are any pros and cons

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe that was a test done by Telegraham on IG. He sent it in to Aquabiomics for testing. I would imagine he strained the sample through a newly made batch of saltwater. Would have to ask him but pretty sure he did not strain it through his reef tank water. He did several tests and most bottled bacterias were nothing more than a couple of strains of bacillus.

I would be willing to donate in a pool to get more samples tested and the results shared.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
okay...it was mentioned/listed on your youtube video "power point" pages as one of the options for a carbon source, so that's why i'm asking.
So is final product going to be a sell item or shared for a d.i.y?
V1 and V2 were covered in my video, those are the DIY versions of my concoction that people can replicate with commercial products. You can find tips in this thread and my other video appearances.

V3 is my own creation which is shelf stable fermented paste. If you’re interested in trying, I am now making them in small production batches, just send me a pm.
Here’s a brief summary

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting my nutrients down to around 10-15 NO3; 0.10-.15 P04 prior to using this. I am now running 25-30 and 0.20-.29, typically the day after a good feeding. Would this concern to anyone? I just cannot get my nutrients to stay down no matter my export methods (heavy skimming, filter roller, zoevit and carbon in my reactor; another GFO reactor, bacteria dosing and 15% water changes weekly...).

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was getting my nutrients down to around 10-15 NO3; 0.10-.15 P04 prior to using this. I am now running 25-30 and 0.20-.29, typically the day after a good feeding. Would this concern to anyone? I just cannot get my nutrients to stay down no matter my export methods (heavy skimming, filter roller, zoevit and carbon in my reactor; another GFO reactor, bacteria dosing and 15% water changes weekly...).
I wouldn’t be concerned. I think that long term gfo use may be problematic.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back