Something had babies....

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have 2 peppermint shrimp and 2 Ocellaris Clowns that are potential for breeding. I'm not sure which is the culprit, but I have my own opinion.

Anyone who can positively identify these babies?

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those are mysid shrimp rather than bsbies. They are a common hitchhiker and swim around really quickly with a sort of T shaped body plan.

Here's a video of what I think are the same guys swimming around my frag tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have 2 peppermint shrimp and 2 Ocellaris Clowns that are potential for breeding. I'm not sure which is the culprit, but I have my own opinion.

Anyone who can positively identify these babies?

Looks like they might be Mysid shrimp - an incidental species in some reef tanks.

OP
OP
GaryE

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I'll keep an eye on them.

I certainly haven't seen the clowns lay eggs anywhere, but the rockwork has a lot of good hiding spots. One of my peppermint shrimp definitely has eggs and usually hides in that rock during the day.

I have not yet seen any mysid in the tank prior to this, but that's not completely out of the question as I did get a nice chunk of Chaeto from a friend a few months back that had all manner of life on it.

OP
OP
GaryE

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just micro fauna

I have tons of that for sure.. The amphipods are getting rather out of control. I need to get something in there to eat them before they take over the house.

I also have spaghetti worms everywhere. and forget about copepods, it's insanity....

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tons of that for sure.. The amphipods are getting rather out of control. I need to get something in there to eat them before they take over the house.

I also have spaghetti worms everywhere. and forget about copepods, it's insanity....
It's good to have the diversity, don't worry about them getting out of control, they will self regulate.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I'll keep an eye on them.

I certainly haven't seen the clowns lay eggs anywhere, but the rockwork has a lot of good hiding spots. One of my peppermint shrimp definitely has eggs and usually hides in that rock during the day.

I have not yet seen any mysid in the tank prior to this, but that's not completely out of the question as I did get a nice chunk of Chaeto from a friend a few months back that had all manner of life on it.

I hadn't seen any either until I took the video! It's amazing what diverse life can pop up in a reef tank. I saw dozens of strange hitchhikers that only revealed themselves after years.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's some kind of mysis shrimp. We have a lot of them in all our tropical tanks. Hard to say what species, it seems like they find new once now and then in aquariums:

I think they are a good thing. We even caught them to feed to our cuttlefish babies a couple of years ago.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back