SOMETHING WRONG WITH BANGAII!

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks ago I got 2 bangaii cardinals. One is doing amazing while the other has been acting and looking a bit odd. He eats like a champ but doesn't swim around much and spends most of the day hiding (coming out for food). A couple of times I've actually found him kind of just sitting up against my pump/filter and then when I came to see if he was alive he swam back under the rocks. I apologize for the bad picture quality, its the best I could get. Basically, he looks quite a bit browner than the other bangaii
tempImagePhUWgp.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks ago I got 2 bangaii cardinals. One is doing amazing while the other has been acting and looking a bit odd. He eats like a champ but doesn't swim around much and spends most of the day hiding (coming out for food). A couple of times I've actually found him kind of just sitting up against my pump/filter and then when I came to see if he was alive he swam back under the rocks. I apologize for the bad picture quality, its the best I could get. Basically, he looks quite a bit browner than the other bangaii
tempImagePhUWgp.jpg
Are you sure you have a male and female? Behavior sounds like the other might be picking on him and if they are both males that will happen

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
tempImagePhUWgp.jpg
This may be an aggression issue as two rarely coexist especially if makes. If one is stuck in power head, likely weak and becoming moribund and will weaken and not eat or swim normal

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really thought it was a male and a female but I might be wrong. What are your suggested actions?
Take the one thats acting strange to LFS, the other one wont leave him alone until he is dead. These guys are hard to sex, the difference being in the jaw. Behavior sounds to me like he is stressed out from the other one

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tempImagePhUWgp.jpg
Do o you know - Is it a tank raised or wild caught fish? Wild ones have been showing up with a pretty serious viral disease that shows a variety of “off” symptoms in the fish.
Jay

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do o you know - Is it a tank raised or wild caught fish? Wild ones have been showing up with a pretty serious viral disease that shows a variety of “off” symptoms in the fish.
Jay
I bought them from my LFS and Im pretty sure they get all there's tank raised. Not positive though

collins.jason.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common issue with Cardinals. I have two in my tank and they both keep to opposite ends of the 5 foot tank. I had them previously in a smaller setup and they wouldn't live together peacefully. Once they had enough space to call their own, they both have thrived... One on either end of the tank

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common issue with Cardinals. I have two in my tank and they both keep to opposite ends of the 5 foot tank. I had them previously in a smaller setup and they wouldn't live together peacefully. Once they had enough space to call their own, they both have thrived... One on either end of the tank
I only have a 35 gallon tank and Im guessing that's why they are fighting

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Should I see if my LFS will take him?
Sorry for delay- was at a movie. If fighting, you can check with LFS. Many wont take a fish back due to disease risk but try

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They will take the fish. Do you think its the right thing to do given my situation?
Yes- It preserves the other one you have which is a great fish to have on hand

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Like now the fish are side by side like best friends now
It comes and goes. This is their sleep time as they are wide in the evening and night but keep an eye on them

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do you think I should still return the bullied one back to my LFS? If I was going to now would be the time
personally - yes before regrets

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back