Sooo who has built their own acrylic tank

ironworker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a few of you have done it. Any advice amd what would you have done different.what steps did you take amd products did you use.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’ll bite... and yes I have built many acrylic projects/sumps, including 2 display tanks.

Your question is very general and doesn’t give us much to go on. Have you done any acrylic fabrication before? Tank dimensions you’re looking to build? Design specifics? Acrylic thickness?

Without knowing more this is about all I can say:
Use high quality cell cast acrylic.
Router table and high quality router bits are necessary for perfect joints IMO.
The pins method is the way to go.

If you have not done any acrylic fabrication before, I would not recommend a display as your first project.
Start small - practice, practice, practice - and work your way up to larger pieces.

TMB

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,
I'll toss in some adddvice. TMB is right on. You can also use glass. Heavy but since you are a steel worker, no prob. Either way seams are very important just like welds. If I ever do build another acrylic tank after the current one I would make it 2x thicker than required. I like that heavy duty look of slick thick plastic.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad this is only 4" tall.

6_Mini_tank.jpg

OP
OP
I

ironworker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So what thickness is good. Tank dimensions ar 48 long 22 tall 24 wide. I had considered half inch with bracing.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So what thickness is good. Tank dimensions ar 48 long 22 tall 24 wide. I had considered half inch with bracing.
For an acrylic tank 1/2 is a bit thin in my opinion. Not enough of a safety factor and you have that bowing effect. You can prob find someone to do it. It would have to be perfect. For the DYI-er, 3/4 would be a lot better.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the calculator I've been using 3/4 is needed for this size tank, and this assumes that it will be braced. What I mean by braced is that you essentially build an acrylic box (enclosed on all 6 sides), and then route out the openings in the top. Euro Style Bracing or another type should not be used. If you don't want to brace it, the calculator says 1" min.
upload_2017-12-22_10-18-6.png

You can find the calculator here: http://diyfishkeepers.com/AcrylicThicknessCalculator.htm

Please keep in mind that I'm not an expert acrylic builder, this is DIY hobby experience talking here, and you should consider consulting an expert before building this.

TMB

OP
OP
I

ironworker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to make my own tank but have questions on how to build...lol
Im a craftsmen in general. I havent seen much i couldnt build as long as i had the proper tooling. I will be switching to glass for this. Since i found a supplier that can sell it to me at the right price amd precut..front panel will be low iron.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. It will be a rewarding experience. Use a quality industrial adhesive and you will be fine. Those couple of extra dollars will be well spent.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back