Sound OFF: It's all about that FLOW that FLOW that FLOW!

Is laminar flow or chaotic flow better for your reef aquarium and which do you choose?

• Laminar Flow Is Better

Votes: 107 15.1%
  • Chaotic Flow Is Better

Votes: 603 84.9%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Water flow at the great barrier reef. 9 months south, 3 months north. http://www.mrstevennewman.com/geo/GBR/Hydrological.htm
eac_scemlg.gif

Source: http://www.marine.csiro.au/LeafletsFolder/37eac/
So over hundreds of miles it seems like the flow is laminar. Australia is huge - the little circles there would suggest that mostly the flow is laminar in most areas. Or am I misunderstanding your point

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow all going in the same average direction does not mean laminar. Laminar flow is a very specific type of flow where all of the fluid particles move along the same streamlines. Imagine a bunch of lines of traffic all flowing nicely, and no one switching lanes.
This guy has a pretty good "real-world" description of flow regimes:
https://www.princeton.edu/~asmits/Bicycle_web/transition.html

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use a combo of both but tend to lean towards gyre type movement.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laminar IMO. Nothing wrong with chaotic, just feel that laminar flow that shifts over long intervals (15 mins +) is a bit more advantageous for stony coral development.

Brad Vaughn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had to store a bunch of acros while setting up a new tank. My goal was to keep them alive while the new tank cycled. They are getting a lot less flow than before and less chaotic. The results are pretty amazing. They are thriving. That was unexpected. I have an 89" tank. Going for circular flow with two smaller powerheads, one high one lower on the front left side, then one larger powerhead on the back right side, high.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means..."

If you have anything above a slight movement of water in your tank, it's really all turbulent flow. Nothing in front of a powerhead can be accurately called laminar. I realize it's just terminology, but in this case it's bad terminology, and I wish we could get away from it.
Yup, you are absolutely correct. But, it seems to be the commonly accepted term to use in the hobby to describe relatively linear flow as opposed to having the flow from different powerheads pointed into each other.

Do you have a better term we could use to replace it with?

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am convinced that the best flow for any tank is having 2 opposing gyres at the long ends of each side, alternating their flow...1 on, 1 off, switch, repeat. This provides a pattern similar to waves coming in, then waves going out. I've used every type of flow device imaginable and this has been the best I've found yet.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, maybe organized flow vs. disorganized?
I do realize I'm being a bit semantic...
I get it. In the engineering world, words have a very precise and important meaning. I feel the same way with the term "cycled" for a new tank. A tank is never "cycled" as the process is continues. But.. as much as I'd like to make the term go away, its what is used.

In this case, I just don't see a better option that wouldn't cause additional confusion. Especially since scientists use the term when studying coral reefs.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 101 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 48.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back