Source for baby squid (fresh or frozen....FOOD)

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

I've been spending the last several months dicing whole frozen squid in my kitchen into bite size pieces that my snowflake can swallow. Pretty tired of it. Dreaming of the day she can just down a whole, grocery standard "small" squid.

Part of the dicing process is unfortunately cleaning the squid (taking all the guts out). I feel like in the wild, this is a large part of the nutrition an eel gets from nabbing a squid. Problem is, in my tank if i take a thawed cross section cut of a squid and try to feed it to my eel, all the guts goes everywhere and she ends up only eating the meat (rings) of the squid anyway. I do give her the whole head with tentacles but that just doesn't seem like the full diet to me. I of course soak her squid in Selcon too.

I go to the asian markets etc... etc... and can only find squid that are about 5-7" frozen in packs.

Looking for a source that sells whole, uncleaned squid that are between 2"-4" so i can feed my eel a whole squid diet....

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try going to one of the local fishing spots. I know they often catch small squid off the Newport and Huntington piers. I think most thow them back or use for bait.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'e found frozen Alaskan shrimp about that size at Bensons...

OP
OP
MarsRover

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'e found frozen Alaskan shrimp about that size at Bensons...
Says you're in NY. Bensons the pet supply store? I don't have them around here. Do you go there often? Would you be willing to snap a photo next time you're in there? I'd be willing to buy some through you if they are what i am looking for lol

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'e about 4 inches...
20180425_155255.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I knew u were but they were about the right size....sorry...

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back