Species of coral rarely seen in the hobby?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We said the same thing about gonis. Look now they are being kept long term.
Sure but it took a community of experts decades and they are still notoriously difficult for most, not some random newbie that came along and magically unlocked the secret.

Last edited:

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sympodiums don't seem to be kept very often. Mine has been easy enough to keep, especially once I started giving it reef roids on a regular basis. Not fast-growing, but that might be helpful.

It's a soft coral. It looks like a tight-clustered clove polyp when open, but the polyps are all growing out of a mat. People mistake them for blue clove polyps and say they're invasive, but they seem to grow pretty slowly.

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds right .
It’s rare only cause it’s best kept in the ocean .
I love reefs and would never try to hurt them. But many corals with great care can be kept in aquariums. I have kept many play and zoa species from Florida that are really kept and have had great success. Many corals just need pioneered.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NPS will never be kept by most people. I do not care if goniopra is not to bad now it is not the same.

The reason is the amount of care it takes to keep most of them. Even something like suncorals which really are not that bad. The reason is most NPS require feeding almost 24/7 and most wont put in the effort. basically they are allot of work not necessarily hard to keep. It requires extreme nutrient control too with that amount of food. They also require different foods. It is also not cheap.

Another one is cold water tanks. Not all that hard but allot of work and money.

Last edited:

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to keep NPS go pick Dr. dendrosteins brain he's done real well with alot of em , also an odd ball i keep is blue rigde not uber common cause its kinda plain but hardy as all heck. survived my first months of reef keeping and my dipping accident though barely its just starting to grow back.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snake polyps- Isaurus tuberculatus
indophyllia - will probably cost acanthophyllia money but look similar to a green cynaria however a keen eye will spot them
Australophyllia wilsoni - just make sure it's a tropical one, or keep the tank appropriate temp.

That's all that comes to mind first thing in the morning. NPS suggestions are also great.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably have the rarest coral there is.....
It’s called GSP
Now don’t get this confused with Green Star Polyps.
This one is called Greener Star Polyps!
They look identical though and grow the same!
If you ever swing by 24401 I’ll be glad to give you a piece of this rare stuff for FREE! ;)

following along to see any rare coral come along! Hope to see some wicked weird ones!

Last edited:

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyy I also have snake polyps , also had some organ pipe a while ago would like to get another frag of it. what about yellow gorgs or telesto coral?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Heyy I also have snake polyps , also had some organ pipe a while ago would like to get another frag of it. what about yellow gorgs or telesto coral?
Yellow/orange gorogonia are not rare and I see them available allot. You seldom see them in peoples aquariums because they are NPS and require regular feedings and they easily get cover in algae in tanks with high lighting so they usually die slowly. Can people keep them alive yes but they are some work.

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NPS will never be kept by most people. I do not care if goniopra is not to bad now it is not the same.

The reason is the amount of care it takes to keep most of them. Even something like suncorals which really are not that bad. The reason is most NPS require feeding almost 24/7 and most wont put in the effort. basically they are allot of work not necessarily hard to keep. It requires extreme nutrient control too with that amount of food. They also require different foods. It is also not cheap.

Another one is cold water tanks. Not all that hard but allot of work and money.
I have a very successful nps tank. It’s not a tank but rather an area of a reef off Dania beach that is like 20 square feet or something and I make sure all the MPs are fed and all corals are healthy at least once a week

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably have the rarest coral there is.....
It’s called GSP
Now don’t get this confused with Green Star Polyps.
This one is called Greener Star Polyps!
They look identical thoughand grow the same!
If you ever swing by 24401 I’ll be glad to give you a piece of this rare stuff for FREE! ;)

following along to see any rare coral come along! Hope to see some wicked weird ones!
Lol

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your new but want a coral that is extremely rare just so you will kill it? Ya ok
Well I can keep acros and Indo elegance with succes along with other hard coral. I think people are confused. I don’t want a nps coral, nor a rare color morph. Simply a coral that is rarely seen in the hobby. Lik Florida zoantheds. They are everywhere on reefs, but nowhere in the hobby, despite the beautiful colors. I have kept them successfully and love as much light as high light acros. They are a nice coral to fill in blank space high up. They also don’t grow to quick either so it won’t invade a tank. So if anyone knows of a coral rare in this hobby (I don’t care if it is common on the reefs) please let me know. Thank you all for the responses so far!

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone kept this? It’s on live aquaria.

Attachments

• F79CC802-162B-44F0-AB50-42FE4C4E1CD8.png
    F79CC802-162B-44F0-AB50-42FE4C4E1CD8.png
    906.7 KB · Views: 52

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a very successful nps tank. It’s not a tank but rather an area of a reef off Dania beach that is like 20 square feet or something and I make sure all the MPs are fed and all corals are healthy at least once a week

Most NPS corals require more than one feeding a week and most more than once a day. If not they slowly starve if only receiving partial nutrition. May take 6 month maybe a year but they will slowly die. Some like blueberry gorgonia need feeding almost every hour. Suncorals and dendros may get away with once a week feedings and a few others.

I would like to see a photo of this area of nps corals that are fed once a week.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhizo's which can be seen here and there. Also note that these are illegal (CITES) but can be found in the trade.
1609261525545.png

Last edited:
Back