Spilt 3 to 4 gallons of saltwater on my carpet

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel so blessed it was only 3 to 4 gallons. My wife and I had just gotten home from eating out and we heard the "leak frog" go off. I ran into the room where the aquarium is and the return pipe had blown off of the return pump. (I was doing some tank maintenance and I didn't put it back on right.) I covered the geyser but I would estimate 3 to 4 gallons got on to the carpet.

Water was only in the front of the tank not the back. I know some water got under the tank. Do I need to move my tank? It is a 60 gallon cube with a 18 gallon sump.

I soaked up all the water possible and have a big fan blowing down on it. Im going to suck up water with a shop vac and leave the fan on it for a few days.

What do you guys think? Will it stain the carpet and will I need to move my tank you think?

Marlon2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will most likely get a foul smell for a few days it will dry eventually

Trevor203

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why would you need to move the tank 4 gallons is not a lot of water. Water damage is caused over time not just once unless you have laminate floor and that case structurally everything will be fine just wont look that good if you let it sit. The smell will be the biggest problem as long as you soak up what you can you will be fine

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's on carpet. I was just thinking it wouldn't dry under the tank very well. The more I think about it the less water I think spilt. By the amount of water in my sump I'd say 2 to 3 gallons.
I left a fan blowing on it all night and it feels much drier already.

Back