Sponge filters?

9thfloor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed at my lfs they have sponge filters in their display tanks. They were busy so I didn't ask them. Next time.

Are they any good? Maybe for a quarantine tank?

Do you just put them on a pump or power head?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah good for a sick tank and a fry tank but they are nitrate factory they are also good for emergency if they are running on a qt tank and the power go off then you can put a bat power air pump and is a back up Bio filter but would not run in my dt as they are nitrate factories

navila06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my tank with only one sponge filter and it's in the overflow around a pipe and I clean it out 4 times a week, it's there just to keep the big pieces out of the sump, besides that everything flows freely.

I noticed at my lfs they have sponge filters in their display tanks. They were busy so I didn't ask them. Next time.

Are they any good? Maybe for a quarantine tank?

Do you just put them on a pump or power head?

OP
OP
9thfloor

9thfloor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info guys. But I should ask, what do you mean exactly by nitrate factory? It traps decaying matter and if it is not cleaned it builds?

I just want to make sure I understand. I've heard that term before and that's what I make of it!

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponge filters are great Bio filter for aerobic bacteria witch produces nitrate as a end factor of the nitrogen prodded. Were as live rock is such a great filter media because it makes a home on the surface for aerobic bacteria and the little pores leading into the center of the live rock grows anaerobic bacteria that eats nitrate so live rock handels the start of the nitrogen prosses and the end were the sponge filter just handes the first stages and leaves the nitrates in the aquarium so they are nitrate factories

shse666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion might differ just a tiny bit. But then again, I usually have different goals as well.

I wouldn't use a sponge filter only for any of my reef based systems but I AM going to use a significant amount of sponge material for my 715 gallon FOWLR shark/ray tank filtration. Keeping sting rays means minimizing the amount of live rock that I can place along the bottom of the tank which limits the total LR volume and that means I can not depend on the LR alone to complete the Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate > Water Change cycle without some assistance.

I'm building an inexpensive bio tower with multiple layers. The first will be disposable filter floss to collect large to moderately sized particles. Next will be a felt layer to trap small particles followed by one or more layers of 20 ppi foam. Keeping detritus out of the foam will be very important to prevent unwanted decay byproducts flowing back into the tank. The foam is going to always be wet but suspended above the water line promoting aerobic (O2 loving) bacteria that perform the Ammonia to Nitrite conversion.

I will then have a lower flow remote refugium fed water after the biotower with anaerobic zones to encourage bacteria that converts the Nitrite to Nitrate.

Lastly I will have live chaetomorpha macro algae in the 'fuge along with a bio pellet reactor and dedicated skimmer to help absorb Nitrate and Phosphates from the water. This should help cut down on the frequency and volume of bi monthly water changes needed to keep the chemistry clean enough for the fish.

Sorry if this is a more technical explanation than you wanted. I don't view anything as a "factory" except for the shark. He is a poop factory and hence the need for everything above.

Feel free to love your sponge filter. Used in the correct way and context, they are nifty! IMHO

Last edited:
OP
OP
9thfloor

9thfloor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool everyone, thanks for all the replies. I understand now. I don't have a problem with particles now and I have a lot of live rock. I may try one in a quarantine tank because they are so cheap. In any event, thanks again!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back