Spotlight on the Kessil H80, 380 and H1200 refugium lights | BRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, BRStv Spotlight day is here!

Today we're exploring the horticulture specific LEDs from Kessil as some of the most solid options to lighting your refugium! In this one we'll talk about which one will work best for you, how to get them setup on your tank and some recommendations for settings and acclimation. :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome video Randy! Thank you so much for doing this! As you've seen in my other thread, the Kessil H380 has been easily my best purchase ever. Grows macro algae like crazy. @ 3:20, whats the H300?? :p:p:D:D j/k we all knew what you meant

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome video Randy! Thank you so much for doing this! As you've seen in my other thread, the Kessil H380 has been easily my best purchase ever. Grows macro algae like crazy. @ 3:20, whats the H300?? :p:p:D:D j/k we all knew what you meant

Haha! Whoops, nice catch. ;) I would, hands down, choose a H380 for any tank build of my own in the future!

-Randy

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! Whoops, nice catch. ;) I would, hands down, choose a H380 for any tank build of my own in the future!

-Randy
Lol no problem, don't let anyone give you a hard time over it:) :)

Last edited:

Alphaeus A Flood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video today Randy!

All,
I am in the process of planning and purchasing items for a 200g display with 120g (4'x2'x2') display refugium which I will describe as my ultimate build! I want a light for the refugium that can grow macroalgea/produce pods but the light has to be aesthetically pleasing to the eyes. Would you recommend the H1200? if so how many? OR a couple of Kessil A360W-E? OR the new H300? JK :D:D:D

This is my first post on R2R so don't beat me up to bad.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video today Randy!

All,
I am in the process of planning and purchasing items for a 200g display with 120g (4'x2'x2') display refugium which I will describe as my ultimate build! I want a light for the refugium that can grow macroalgea/produce pods but the light has to be aesthetically pleasing to the eyes. Would you recommend the H1200? if so how many? OR a couple of Kessil A360W-E? OR the new H300? JK :D:D:D

Two H380's would be perfect for your display fuge.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice video!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two?! Realy?! You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Anyone who buys this light just for cheato is either gullible or too rich to know what to do with there money.
Dude, if you don't like it then leave the thread. Your 100% entitled to your own opinion, but when you come on here bashing people who use kessils it's offensive and insulting. I'm sure your DIY stuff works, but I've had great proven success with kessils for both fuge lighting and display tank lighting and so have many others. And he specifically asked which kessil to use and I made a suggestion. There is no need for your response.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video today Randy!

All,

For looking good on the eye I wouldn’t go with the kessil H series, maybe some tuna sun a360s.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wondering why not just use LED grow light, especially the COB ones, like this one. There are many different options with different power level, and all of them are way cheaper per performance compare to kessil. I was looking for grow light led the other day for my gardening need, and there are seldom mention of Kessil H series, despite it's designed for agriculture.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering are Kessels manufactured in the USA

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wondering why not just use LED grow light, especially the COB ones, like this one. There are many different options with different power level, and all of them are way cheaper per performance compare to kessil. I was looking for grow light led the other day for my gardening need, and there are seldom mention of Kessil H series, despite it's designed for agriculture.

I many people run lights like that and they work great. For me personally it was about the kessil small form and ability to put on gooseneck as I don't have much space. I use a h380 also for pitcher plants and I would have to hang another type of light or come up with something else and the gooseneck is so easy for a compact 90W of heavy red blue and it has some UV in there too which I am a big fan of. But no doubt the kessil are expensive. One thing that is hard with amazon lights is the true wattage, many times sellers list what the LEDs are capable of and not what the fixtures really run at for example I have a hard time thinking that light really runs at 400W. EDIT: looks like in the customer questions that light pulls about 188W. I wish they would just say that in the item descriptions. Also more than a few people in the Q and A say the light didn't last very long and they couldn't get replacement. Not saying the kessil is better for the price or nothing else will work of course, just things to be aware of.

Last edited:

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the Trigger Sapphire 39 sump. Will either of the brackets for the H380 fit since it's got the 1" or so border around the top?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the Trigger Sapphire 39 sump. Will either of the brackets for the H380 fit since it's got the 1" or so border around the top?
Yes, you could clamp it onto the lip, similar to this photo if you're referring to using the gooseneck mount. or the mount may even be able to slip over the lip, and clamp onto the side.

maxresdefault.jpg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil's LED is fabricated in Taiwan. I had have tons of Kessil (A360, A160 A150 etc) and they all listed made in Taiwan. I am Taiwanese and I know the semiconductor fab house in TW is top notch around the world. TSMC is one example.
I can appreciate your support of the home team, I too try to support my home team as well and I also have a few Kessils and cannot disagree on top notch. I am also aware of Taiwan's reputation for high quality and
being a World Class Sourcing Destination.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you could clamp it onto the lip, similar to this photo if you're referring to using the gooseneck mount. or the mount may even be able to slip over the lip, and clamp onto the side.
Ah, I see now there's a hole in two sides of the bracket for the arm to screw into.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 28.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back