OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wonder why someone would mix carnivorous predators with community fish in a reef tank and then be surprised by the results.
Well I agree. But like a snowflake eel very calm and hasn’t attacked any of my fish. But then I try to get another eel like that and boom bad luck!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Old rule:
ANYTHING THAT CAN FIT IN A FISHES' MOUTH . . . SOONER OR LATER WILL !!!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I agree. But like a snowflake eel very calm and hasn’t attacked any of my fish. But then I try to get another eel like that and boom bad luck!!
In a very large tank like 300g I can see combinations like this possibly working because the fish and eel have space to avoid each other. But typical 125g systems is just asking for trouble at some point unfortunately.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A snowflake eel of the genus Echidna is very different to an eel of the genus Gymnotherax. The diet of the echidna consists almost entirely of invertebrates. Gymnotherax eat primarily fish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C6A249BC-BA83-4FA9-968F-752856ECE2C9.jpeg

I absolutely hate it when people tell you that it will work when it really won’t!!!!! And there are no returns so I guess I’ll be selling him soon lol

Appropriate tank mates for this eel would be triggers, large angels, and other large semi aggressive to aggressive fish. These eels have teeth to grab and rip, it's not about fitting in it's mouth. If they are small right now, their temperament may be mild, but as they mature, within a year or so, they'll be a force. An appropriate eel mate for your tank would be something like a skeletor or banded. A snowflake, like the other 2 I mentioned, are pebbletooth eels, These eels have blunt teeth and as long as appropriately sized, will pose no danger to fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appropriate tank mates for this eel would be triggers, large angels, and other large semi aggressive to aggressive fish. These eels have teeth to grab and rip, it's not about fitting in it's mouth. If they are small right now, their temperament may be mild, but as they mature, within a year or so, they'll be a force. An appropriate eel mate for your tank would be something like a skeletor or banded. A snowflake, like the other 2 I mentioned, are pebbletooth eels, These eels have blunt teeth and as long as appropriately sized, will pose no danger to fish.
Until I can sell him how often should I feed him to keep him from trying to eat one of my fish in the meantime?

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this is a long shot but is there enough room to put a divider up inside the tank to isolate the eel from the fish ? It would also make him easier to catch when you do find him a home just a thought.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until I can sell him how often should I feed him to keep him from trying to eat one of my fish in the meantime?

While a hungry eel is more dangerous, what happens many times is just instinct and happenstance. The eel will go cruising in the middle of the night or as the fish start to rise, and just bump into a tank mate and out of instinct bite or eat them. Or a tank mate invades their territory, but in the meantime. Feed their full every other day or as they are willing to eat, feed smaller items until they refuse on each feeding day

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 71.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back