0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know the answer, right? Maybe when they are smaller, but risky. Grey grows on you like a Niger, convict tang, french angelfish, etc - the patterns are kinda like an adult chevron. They do get huge. :) The big issue with any of these is that you have nowhere to go with them... nobody will want them and you cannot give them to a larger tank, restaurant display or public aquarium like you can a queen angel, valmingi, etc. If the queen or rough just gets big and kills all of your other fish, are you OK with a 1100 gallon one-fish tank? If not, then I would not get one.

You basically are stuck, or you can grill them and have a triggerfish sandwich. This is crude, but it has been done.

You can get either. There are any number of divers in the gulf who will get you one if you ask, pay and wait.

Definitely not doing the Grey. Might not risk it for the Rough.

Had a Golden Heart that was taken out by a parasite, got my hands on a Queen that the same parasite took out.

Backup plan is a Golden Heart. Trying to get a Queen or GH as Juvi as possible. I've had a Juvi Titan in my 230 for a bit now.

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great info. I have a 3k aquarium this fish may eventually move to, but then again, maybe not.

The growth rate of triggers is so crazy to me. I got my Undulate, Huma, Niger, Titan, and Blueline at about the same time all either at 1 or 2 inches.

Undulate, Huma, Titan have barely grown in about 6 months. Niger grows quickly, Blueline seems to grow daily.

The Titan growth rate seems crazy slow. Really interested in this Rough as I don't think I've ever seen one in a home aquarium.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not noticeable in the two months
In QT :

Today :

Hey, wait a minute. I've seen you before on YouTube! I saw your videos on captive elasmobranchs and silversides years ago! Super unique stuff!
Excuse me for going on a tangent, but how did those silversides do for you in the reef tank (care, longevity, etc.)? They seem like a fairly unique schooling fish for a medium-sized tank (not mine though, it is approaching capacity).

OP
OP
A

alprazo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, wait a minute. I've seen you before on YouTube! I saw your videos on captive elasmobranchs and silversides years ago! Super unique stuff!
Excuse me for going on a tangent, but how did those silversides do for you in the reef tank (care, longevity, etc.)? They seem like a fairly unique schooling fish for a medium-sized tank (not mine though, it is approaching capacity).
depending on the species, they are easy to keep. They tend to disappear as time goes on. I’m guessing that are eaten at night. I have a couple now, with mullet (also interesting), permit, moonfish, lookdowns, etc… My favorite of all time and a super smart fish that swims right up to you and follows you around the tank is the cobia. They are interactive like a puffer and have a mesmerizing swim pattern like a cleaner wrasse. They grow crazy fast (maybe 6 inches in 3 months) and unfortunately in my state they put in place a minimum size limit in 2021.

OP
OP
A

alprazo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. The trigger is doing very well. It was beaten up a little by a blue line grouper that had to be removed. Other than that, maybe it’s added an inch at most. Never bothers the other fish, just my hands and any other object that enters the tank. Always swimming, it never beds down or hides in a tube, hence pelagic I guess. Great blue color and finally starting to fatten up and no longer appear thin.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. The trigger is doing very well. It was beaten up a little by a blue line grouper that had to be removed. Other than that, maybe it’s added an inch at most. Never bothers the other fish, just my hands and any other object that enters the tank. Always swimming, it never beds down or hides in a tube, hence pelagic I guess. Great blue color and finally starting to fatten up and no longer appear thin.

This fish is growing to become quite the looker! Excuse me for another tangent, but I think a pelagic porcupinefish (Diodon eydouxii) would be a perfect tankmate given their shared habitat... assuming they can get along, of course.
Edit: Oh, looks like I already mentioned this fish earlier in this thread. Whoops.

OP
OP
A

alprazo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some follow-up in this fish. Despite its initial growth and voracious appetite with multiple feeds a day, the fish became thinner and thinner. It was treated with prazi and then fenbendazile in its food but continued to become emaciated despite eating well. The fish eventually died.

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some follow-up in this fish. Despite its initial growth and voracious appetite with multiple feeds a day, the fish became thinner and thinner. It was treated with prazi and then fenbendazile in its food but continued to become emaciated despite eating well. The fish eventually died.

dang dude that sucks…so weird, I feel like this is common with rare triggers. I’ve had this same thing happen to 2x golden hearts and a Blueline all around 6 months. If you get a chance to get another, let me know…I want one!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back