SPS are pale, zero nitrates and still have algae.

OP
OP
K

KatoJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Have you tested the alk swing it causes? 32ml isn't much but if it's causing huge swings it may be a problem also. You doing bi carbonate, carbonate or kalk?
I haven’t tested the alk swing. Can I do that immediately after or wait an hour or so to let it disperse?

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another issue to consider is the ratio between Nitrates to Phos (10:1, say, Nitrates=1 and Phos=0.1). Increasing Nitrates above said ratio can lead to slower coral growth. THAT being said, there are many paths to Nirvana. As stated, CUC additions necessary. Really, what you have is a balancing equation.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I haven’t tested the alk swing. Can I do that immediately after or wait an hour or so to let it disperse?
An easy way to see is test before your doser doses (assuming doser) in the a.m. and then again in the p.m. however it's set up, you just don't want to test immediately after a dose because it will skew the numbers.

OP
OP
K

KatoJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another issue to consider is the ratio between Nitrates to Phos (10:1, say, Nitrates=1 and Phos=0.1). Increasing Nitrates above said ratio can lead to slower coral growth. THAT being said, there are many paths to Nirvana. As stated, CUC additions necessary. Really, what you have is a balancing equation.
That is consistent with what I’ve read. I just haven’t got to the part where I have any nitrates yet! I’m starting to realize there’s more nuance to the recipe than I thought I suppose and like you said, many was to get there.

OP
OP
K

KatoJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - previous to starting this thread I had cut back my fuge lighting duration by half, removed half the chaeto, doubled feedings and reduced the time the skimmer was. Over a two week period my nitrates still tested at 0.

I have been dosing neonitro daily at half the recommended dose of the .5 increase calculation for the last 12 days. I test nitrates every other day and I’m still getting 0 most days and .1 on some days. Phosphates still pretty steady at .02

Unfortunately, some of my acros are not responding well to dosing. The slimer that was once a quite fluorescent green/yellow has lost all its fluorescence, turned mostly brown and even rtn’d a section (see attached pictures). Is this to be expected even if not ideal? I thought I was going slow by only doing half the recommended dose. Is this not slow enough? Would like to hear from anyone with experience in dosing NeoNitro specifically to bring nitrates up from zero. Should I stay the course and keep dosing? What would your recommended dose amount be? Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_6254.png
    IMG_6254.png
    718.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6255.png
    IMG_6255.png
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 9

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I read three pages and all I see is a need to add fish.

Algae means there isn't enough eating it

Pale coral and 0 nitrate means there isn't enough food (or fish waste)

I don't see what else is needed to be said beyond that

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - previous to starting this thread I had cut back my fuge lighting duration by half, removed half the chaeto, doubled feedings and reduced the time the skimmer was. Over a two week period my nitrates still tested at 0.

I have been dosing neonitro daily at half the recommended dose of the .5 increase calculation for the last 12 days. I test nitrates every other day and I’m still getting 0 most days and .1 on some days. Phosphates still pretty steady at .02

Unfortunately, some of my acros are not responding well to dosing. The slimer that was once a quite fluorescent green/yellow has lost all its fluorescence, turned mostly brown and even rtn’d a section (see attached pictures). Is this to be expected even if not ideal? I thought I was going slow by only doing half the recommended dose. Is this not slow enough? Would like to hear from anyone with experience in dosing NeoNitro specifically to bring nitrates up from zero. Should I stay the course and keep dosing? What would your recommended dose amount be? Any help is appreciated!

I would do larger doses at once.

OP
OP
K

KatoJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae means there isn't enough eating it

Pale coral and 0 nitrate means there isn't enough food (or fish waste)

I don't see what else is needed to be said beyond that
I guess I’m relatively new to the hobby and looking for answers. Part of that is understanding what my expectations should be when I make a change such as dosing nitrates. I’ve read through countless threads on these forums about low nutrients and they’re all the same. None of them document what the OP did to fix their problem, how long it took and what if any hurdles they had to overcome to get there. So when I see acros start to turn brown and rtn as a result of me dosing nitrates, naturally I’m concerned and looking for answers. I apologize if this is all so simple to you seasoned pros.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back