# SPS Color Increase Series. Yellow Garlic chives & Spit algae (1)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SPS is one of the complicated problem in the saltwater, there are so many color increase related content, I will analyze from several angles about color increase problem, and need to divide a lot of articles to finish all of them, so I will sort out a series of color increase. I think you will have a deep impression on SPS after share all of this serise. (Actually LPS are the similiar)
Today we will talking about the basic concept of color increase, I name it palette
Palette is common, which is following image:
老何线程图1.jpg

This is color palette on computer, people who have processed the image must have seen it. It consist of red green blue those three color, the combination of different colors achieves all the colors.
SPS color are comes from symbiotic algae(Hymenoptera), which is common known. But the color of Hymenoptera are usually regular this several color. So the color change process of SPS are higly similiar with palette.
Now let's talk the color of SPS:
SPS are divided into a monochrome series and mixed series, SPS are divided into a monochrome series and mixed series, the monochrome sreies in one SPS ususlly only one color , the most common color is green, and the most typical one in green is long hairy branch of indonesia . Like the photo below here:
老何线程图2.jpg

People who have raised this long branch can discover that it just have change different on color shade dark and light, it's hard become into coffee color.
The green series change process are similiar to color palette: dark green-grass green-tend green,-yellow green-Bleaching death. So, if you see two coral with similiar pores, but one color is dark-green, the other is grass -green, they probably the same kind of coral. Just because some reasons cause environment change, so influence coral color.( Today, I only talk about the change process, I will slowly talk about this specific change reasons for the color serise) In some respects, dark green maybe more healthier than yellow green.
No concept of color change? It's doesn't matter.
I often said that SPS are animal which highly similiar to plants. Let's take an expample of the plant, this color change green like the vegatables that people often eat.
老何线程图3.jpg
老何线程图4.jpg

As people known the common garlic chives and yellow garlic chives. Actually, they are the one garlic chives, cause different environment that make different color, if you plant this this two kind of leeks in the same environment, they will enventually become exactly the same.
Let's take another example, such as the illustration of the artical are the one green serise in my tank. (In the indonesian common variety, we name it emerald coral).
老何线程图5.jpg

You generally see the following like the below photo show:
老何线程图6.jpg

Sometimes the arrival goods of coral is a bit more yellow, is it like the change of garlic chives color? In fact, other monochrome serise sps also fully follow this change process, such as the red red serise, such as the Xisha Blue God needle of blue serise.

The red change process is: dark red, big red, red, pink, white and death. The blue change process is: blue-violet, dark blue, blue, sky blue, white and death. ( Coffee color is another special case, I will talk about it later ). All the LPS of symbiotic algae are the same, if you buy a flurescent green Entacmaea quadricolor, it possible due to the fading of ordinary species Entacmaea quadricolo. Another example is red flower pot coral, which changes completely according to this process. Dark red and pink may be the same kind of red flower pot coral, and dark red is healthier than pink. After talking about monochrome serise, let's talk about color mixing. The SPS of the mixed color system also contains symbiotic algae of various colors. This is determined by the gene. Although we can't change his gene, it still follows the process of palette gradation.

Mixed color serise cause the environment problem possible due to certain color strength and cover other colors, especially the green color. So, many people raising the SPS either green color or yellow color, the reason why turn to green is here: 1. The coral gene that turns green contains green. 2. your environment causes green to be strengthened.

The change of coral color talks about here, the purpose of this article is to let everyone know about the process of changes in SPS. Importantly, I hope that the aquarium hobbyist can understand the following two important concepts:
Understand the convergence of the tank.

This convergence is simple and easy to understand, that is to say: if your tank color is too light, then all the corals will be lighter. If the color is dark, then all the coral colors will be dark. If your tank is coffee colored, all the corals will be that color. (LPS is also applicable).
I said that there are two purposes for this convergence:

1. The first purpose of understanding the convergence is: for example, your corals are biased towards heavy color changes, which is caused by your aquarium environment (for the specific reason, I will slowly say this series, everyone should not anxious), buy a light color SPS, if you feed it, it will turn darker after a while. At the beginning, most aquqrium hobbyist would think like this: the color of the sps in my tank is too dark, lacking a yellow sps, and then buying a yellow-green SPS at a high price, and the result is green when raised. So, if you encounter this situation in the future, think about the yellow garlic chives! I think you understand now that you can't grow yellow garlic chives and green garlic chives at the same time in the same tank.

2. Another purpose of understanding convergence is that when you look at other people's tank photos, you can easily judge whether the coral in this tank is growing or sticking. For example, most corals develop into one color, but there are several The colors are very abrupt, so the corals in this tank are probably just sticky, you can't use it as a reference.
To be serious, this may be a tank that is piled up with money. Variety can be bought by money, color can be spent picking by money, put the coral into the tank and take a picture, anyone can do it, but there is no time to precipitate, there is no strong growth of the tank, it should be said that can not be regarded as a good tank, these tanks are generally not worth You refer to and learn.

Hope aquarium hobbyist can identify business misunderstandings: identify spit algae coral.

Simply put, spit algae corals are corals that are very light or very fluorescent. These corals have been vomiting in the hands of the merchants for various reasons. Even if you raising him, you can not keep the color at that time! And such corals are usually extremely unhealthy! So unless you have a good grasp, you should first avoid buying these corals!
In now current status of saltwater society, lots of business gave the spit algae a new good name. even the Australian ***, and then sell higher prices, and deveive those who do not know.

Last but not least, I find some info from web about SPS&LPS spit algae coral to end off today's article. I hope everyone can have a preliminary concept of color change and spitting algae coral, although they maybe look good, and buy is not necessarily dead, but you must Understand that you are definitely not worth buying these corals at a higher price, and usually this color cannot be maintained.

The picture below shows a healthy green rntacmaea quadricolor and a healthy red rntacmaea quadricolor:
老何线程图7.jpg

The picture below shows the spit algae green rntacmaea quadricolor and red rntacmaea quadricolor:
老何线程图8.jpg

The picture below shows the faded euphyllia ancora, the background is the healthy color of the same kind of euphyllia ancora:
老何线程图9.jpg

Severe spit algae red fish scales and healthy red fish scales:
老何线程图10.jpg

Severe spit algae green fish scales and healthy green fish scales
老何线程图11.jpg

The green yak that spit out algae turned yellow green (I saw online treat this coral as Australian goods tp sold):
老何线程图12.jpg

In the end, this type of coral is the most deceived, and the color is so fast that it is dying!
老何线程图13.jpg

To be continued. . . .

Orginal: HeTieming
Mr. He accompany you to play with saltwater

Last edited:

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back