SPS dominate LED users

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't agree more. I really liked my reefbreeders, but a word of caution to anyone with them or similar LEDs, you might not want to run them at 100%, as I said earlier the blues in 2 of my 3 units burnt. They are now for freshwater plant tanks, lol. I don't know if reefbreeders uses the same LED diodes as other Chinese fixtures, but I do want to let people know it can happen so either use more fixtures or optics to get the PAR you need, don't run them at 100.

So what happened to the 50K hours of bulb life that is supposed to counter the cost of MH/LED bulbs over a number of years? If i read correct you had to replace 2 out of 3 units. Thats pretty pricey IMHO.

Very nice tanks indeed BTW.

fiji4118

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned the 250w phoenix bulbs. Looks like a few online suppliers are offering preorders so they may be back soon

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my Hydra 52. They grow everything just fine.

DSC_0074.jpg

Chaz D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Photons or the value fixtures. Personally I think it's more about spreading the light in the canopy, too many of the high priced lights concentrate the leds into a tiny fixture which creates shadows and growth issues despite the fancy lenses they use. The bad rap leds get comes from people using too few of them. If you're only going to run a few of the higher priced fixtures then supplementing them with T5 is a must.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in camp "LED to T5". LEDS are nice but have too many downfalls IMO. I know of a few guys who went from t5 to LED to consequently go back to the very same kind of t5 fixture, these included high(er)-end LED fixtures as well. For me to properly light a 180 for SPS it took five fixtures, two of which have no optics and three have 60 degree optics at 12" off water. I still get shadowing and I feel the corals suffer.

If you want to do it without any possible doubt on your choice, go t5 with a reefbrite strip. If you have a canopy I would look into a LET Miro-4 retrofit (Route I am going since I have a canopy) or if you have no canopy go with an ATI Sunpower fixture.

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using 3 blue + and a purple +. I recently upgraded to 6 bulbs. 3 blue + purple+ coral+ and a uv.
I currently run 2 reef radiance p+ over my 93 gal. Cube and still trying to get the right schedule. I've been thinking about adding a few t5 to help supplement my leds and broaden the spectrum. I'm thinking 4 prolly . 2 in front 2 in back of my leds . What combo would u recommend for me?

eklapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a bluer look so I went with 3 blue+ and a purple +. If you want a whiter look substitute a coral+ for a blue +

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can't grow coral with LEDs. There! I feel better!

Some people can grow coral under any light source - kudos to them. They have mad skillz. I, on the other hand, have gone from MH to T5 to DIY T5/LED mix to DIY LEDs only to high dollar LEDs (eco tech and AI) to high dollar T5/LED (power module) back to T5 only (dimmable sunpower). I'm having as much success as I did six years ago with MH or T5. I struggled for a couple years changing lights trying to get that growth and color and never did. But I know it's not the lights. It's me.

I say try LEDs, but save your MH so you can throw them back on before you lose thousands of dollars of coral like I did. Don't be too proud to stick those halides back on or go to T5s. Best decision I've made in a while. I do have LEDs on the tank, though. I just bought the LSM for my apex.

JSimmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run 2 reef radiance p+ over my 93 gal. Cube and still trying to get the right schedule. I've been thinking about adding a few t5 to help supplement my leds and broaden the spectrum. I'm thinking 4 prolly . 2 in front 2 in back of my leds . What combo would u recommend for me?
Hey CORAL JUNKY, I'm about to buy those same lights (p+'s) how long have you had them...? Any issues...? Did you buy the extended warranty on yours...? I'm new to the LEDs and not sure of life expectancy...? Any help would be appreciated...! From others also...! Thanks...!!!

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey CORAL JUNKY, I'm about to buy those same lights (p+'s) how long have you had them...? Any issues...? Did you buy the extended warranty on yours...? I'm new to the LEDs and not sure of life expectancy...? Any help would be appreciated...! From others also...! Thanks...!!!
Man I've only had them a few months but they seem to pretty nice . Kinda a pain in the butt to get set up and hooked to WiFi but after I got them going they're pretty sweet . I recommend making your own lighting schedule though . The preset ones that come installed ramp up to 100% for several hrs and are bright as **** . I almost burnt up a bunch of stuff . I didn't do the extend warranty. Guess I never thought about it . They're my first leds and they're ok for the $ but I Kinda wish I would have went with some kessils instead

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually go old school when setting my lights. I set them to the color and intensity I want them and raise them up a few more inches. Then slowly over a week or so bring them back down to the original position. This way the LED are set to what you want them for spectrum and as you bring them back down they adjust to the increased intensity.

JSimmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I've only had them a few months but they seem to pretty nice . Kinda a pain in the *** to get set up and hooked to WiFi but after I got them going they're pretty sweet . I recommend making your own lighting schedule though . The preset ones that come installed ramp up to 100% for several hrs and are bright as **** . I almost burnt up a bunch of stuff . I didn't do the extend warranty. Guess I never thought about it . They're my first leds and they're ok for the $ but I Kinda wish I would have went with some kessils instead
I've got a 75g setup with canopy right now...if I were to look at kessils, which light would I need to go with...? Let me guess, the one for $399 each...? Lol grrrr

JSimmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang it man...! Not wanting to drop a G on lights and controller...Even though I was looking at them a lil while back...they look bada**...that's why I was thinking the DM-165p+...get 2 lights for about $500...I need help with this decision...lol

ryanmell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Ocean Revive T-247 over my 60 gal cube sps tank and couldn't be happier with the growth and coloration. I has built in timers and that's about it nothing fancy.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back