Sps dominated 20 gal equipment recommendations?

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m getting a 20 gallon cube from waterbox and just have a few questions since I’ve only ever had one nano tank and it was my first ever tank that I not longer have. Plans for the tank is 90% sps.

First off for my light I’m going with a radion. I’ve never had a Radion before and honestly I just don’t like my hydras so I’m going to try a Radion light. I’m stuck between the xr15 and a xr30. The tank dimensions are 17.7x17.7x15.7 LxWxH. Which one would you recommend for this tank being 90% sps and feel free to chime in on blue or pro I’m still open to both. In the future I was also thinking about adding some reef brites or ai blades for supplemental lighting in between corals so keep that in mind.

And secondly for other equipment I was looking at one of the reef n rolls filter rollers because I have a filter roller on my 112g and it’s a dream no more filter socks for me. But other than that for a 20 gal 90% sps what other equipment would you recommend such as a skimmer or if, excluding dosing and flow I already have that planed.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

bubbgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget the AI blades, you can get the Orphek led strips for the same price with better spectrum (I bought AI blades and it's been underwhelming). Go for the xr30 since you can easily set your spectrum intensity lower and ramp it up higher depending on your SPS (better than buying an additional xr15 later on too). Anything to automate or monitor your Alk, Cal and Mag is ideal (Trident, etc) is recommended since you need to be on top of those.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xr15 will work well on that size tank.
I ran 2 16hds on my 18" nano cube with great results. Nothing else needed.
I used a small basket with floss.
No need for a filter roller, imo.
Simple and easy. I dosed esv daily by hand.
Day one till 10 months before I took it down.
20220926_094502.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back