Sps high nutrients myth?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i remmber correctly, this Vibrant is a form of bacteria? that consumes excess nutrients better than algae and anythign else, thereby outcompeting and killing them?

That’s the idea. It’s a special atrain

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i remmber correctly, this Vibrant is a form of bacteria? that consumes excess nutrients better than algae and anythign else, thereby outcompeting and killing them?

That’s the idea. It’s a special strain developed by a small company doing aquarium and reef maintenance. It worked so well their customers continually asked how they kept the systems so clean. Decided to sell it and since then has become one of the true miracles in our hobby.

amnesiac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the idea. It’s a special strain developed by a small company doing aquarium and reef maintenance. It worked so well their customers continually asked how they kept the systems so clean. Decided to sell it and since then has become one of the true miracles in our hobby.
+1 This stuff was like a nuclear bomb of bacteria. I notice a significant difference in my GHA problem the very next day and a week later it was a different tank. It took a solid month to get rid of it all (very bad GHA problem), but it did.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 This stuff was like a nuclear bomb of bacteria. I notice a significant difference in my GHA problem the very next day and a week later it was a different tank. It took a solid month to get rid of it all (very bad GHA problem), but it did.
But did it affect your corals? Does it strip nutrients? Are you sure it's not just a carbon source?

amnesiac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But did it affect your corals? Does it strip nutrients? Are you sure it's not just a carbon source?
Come to think of it, yes, it did have an effect on the few remaining corals. At this point every frag that was left was moved to a different tank (thank god), but my few beginner corals that had already encrusted remained. By the time I was referred to Vibrant the GHA was at "tear the tank down" levels and its effect on the few corals that were left wasn't a concern. I had some branching purple montis that paled to a pink and a neon stag that RTN'd a bit. I lost a rainbow stylo and one frag of ORA Voodoo. It should also be noted that once I saw how effective Vibrant was I started overdosing the hell out of it. My acans seemed completely unaffected throughout the entire ordeal (sure it couldn't have been good for them). I kept an eye on NO3 in the beginning but after the 2nd dose I was reading 0. PO3 was 0 before I started so I didn't bother with it. So I would say "yes" that it does strip NO3 away in my opinion, but couldn't say for sure on the PO3. As to whether or not it's a carbon source, I'd be lying if I said I knew.

vio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come to think of it, yes, it did have an effect on the few remaining corals. At this point every frag that was left was moved to a different tank (thank god), but my few beginner corals that had already encrusted remained. By the time I was referred to Vibrant the GHA was at "tear the tank down" levels and its effect on the few corals that were left wasn't a concern. I had some branching purple montis that paled to a pink and a neon stag that RTN'd a bit. I lost a rainbow stylo and one frag of ORA Voodoo. It should also be noted that once I saw how effective Vibrant was I started overdosing the hell out of it. My acans seemed completely unaffected throughout the entire ordeal (sure it couldn't have been good for them). I kept an eye on NO3 in the beginning but after the 2nd dose I was reading 0. PO3 was 0 before I started so I didn't bother with it. So I would say "yes" that it does strip NO3 away in my opinion, but couldn't say for sure on the PO3. As to whether or not it's a carbon source, I'd be lying if I said I knew.

+1
I learn the hard way, 1/2 Vibrant they suggest , works, anything more then that i got RTN at the base of SPS. Best dose in refugium , NOT in display.

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
I learn the hard way, 1/2 Vibrant they suggest , works, anything more then that i got RTN at the base of SPS. Best dose in refugium , NOT in display.

I highly doubt it was the Vibrant doing that.

I see many folks talking about Vibrant like it's some secret, potentially deadly chemical. It's not. It's bacteria in a bottle. Admittedly, they may use different strains of bacteria or blends, but at the end of the day it's a bacteria supplement in a nutrient broth to keep the critters alive until they're in your tank. If their bacteria blend actively ate coral tissue, you'd have hundreds of people clamoring on the forums complaining about nuked tanks. I think, at most, if Vibrant WAS responsible for your SPS RTN, it was in a round-a-bout way...likely due to nutrient depletion.

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I see many folks talking about Vibrant like it's some secret, potentially deadly chemical. It's not. It's bacteria in a bottle. Admittedly, they may use different strains of bacteria or blends, but at the end of the day it's a bacteria supplement in a nutrient broth to keep the critters alive until they're in your tank. If their bacteria blend actively ate coral tissue, you'd have hundreds of people clamoring on the forums complaining about nuked tanks. I think, at most, if Vibrant WAS responsible for your SPS RTN, it was in a round-a-bout way...likely due to nutrient depletion.
goood

VTBig053

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A “round about” way likely due to nutrient depletion? Vibrant is bacteria designed to reduce nutrients and starve the algae thst feed on them. Re-read what you said.

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly what I'm saying. Do you?

My statement is that Vibrant is not the direct cause of the RTN. It's likely being caused by something else all together. A dose of Vibrant is not going to suddenly make your acros RTN. The bacteria literally cannot deplete your water nutrients that quickly until they multiply on the substrate and sand bed and other filtration media. Bacteria multiple quickly, don't get me wrong. But a reasonable sized tank being dosed with the recommended amount just isn't going to bottom out immediately unless the levels were already teetering on the edge of undetectable. 3 or 4 days later if your nutrients plummet, your acros no longer have water borne nutrients ,and get ticked off and decided to suicide, then yeah maybe sure, but that's not the Vibrant's fault, that's the reef keepers fault for not monitoring for that.

Posts like his simply stating something like: "one dose of Vibrant made my SPS RTN!" should be held to scrutiny, especially in the absence of any sort of evidence.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those considering using vibrant: Do not use it while you have chaeto or any desirable macro algae. It will destroy them.
It’s a good product when used properly, just take your refugiums offline if you want to keep them going.

VTBig053

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly what I'm saying. Do you?

My statement is that Vibrant is not the direct cause of the RTN. It's likely being caused by something else all together. A dose of Vibrant is not going to suddenly make your acros RTN. The bacteria literally cannot deplete your water nutrients that quickly until they multiply on the substrate and sand bed and other filtration media. Bacteria multiple quickly, don't get me wrong. But a reasonable sized tank being dosed with the recommended amount just isn't going to bottom out immediately unless the levels were already teetering on the edge of undetectable. 3 or 4 days later if your nutrients plummet, your acros no longer have water borne nutrients ,and get ****** off and decided to suicide, then yeah maybe sure, but that's not the Vibrant's fault, that's the reef keepers fault for not monitoring for that.

Posts like his simply stating something like: "one dose of Vibrant made my SPS RTN!" should be held to scrutiny, especially in the absence of any sort of evidence.

Hey, my apologies for calling you out like that. In hindsight, completely uncalled for.
I interpreted your post as saying there was no correlation between the use of vibrant and coral health issues. I recently had an experience to the contrary. I just think its important that people realize that this product isnt the consequence free miracle cure that it is sometimes made out to be. It can drive your nutrients to dangerously low levels while clearing up the algae issue if you are not careful.

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well see the post just above yours now claiming that Vibrant destroys chaeto. No, it does not eat chaeto. It competes for the same nutrients. It might decompose the chaeto after it dies from starvation, but it's not eating it while it's healthy. Also, there's so much missing from that post. You could make equal assumptions based on the claim that one dose killed all his chaeto, or equally, that he dosed it for months, let the nutrients in the tank bottom out and THAT killed the chaeto.

A great way to describe Vibrant: adding lots of hungry mouths to your tank that want to eat nitrate and phosphate.

vio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will really appreciate, from where you got those statements ? Can you pass me the link ? " nutrient depletion" is NOT the case, for SURE. I see NO Bacteria on the bottle, i will try my scope , compere Bac 7. So if is NO secret ? were we can find the ...................ans. ?

Thank You.

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will really appreciate, from where you got those statements ? Can you pass me the link ? " nutrient depletion" is NOT the case, for SURE. I see NO Bacteria on the bottle, i will try my scope , compere Bac 7. So if is NO secret ? were we can find the ...................ans. ?

Thank You.
The makers of it specifically state it's a specially designed bacteria blend. The blend of bacteria is a trade secret that they have yet to disclose. When Vibrant first hit the market there was a lot of discussion on these forums with the makers and some folks specifically asked what the specific blend was and the makers of Vibrant did not want to disclose as it might impact their sales if someone else started marketing the same formula.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at some vibrant under a microscope and did not see too much bacteria. I am not saying that they are untruthful, or anything, but I am a little skeptical about the claims. First, adding bacteria once a week for multiple weeks is weird - if it is just bacteria and it multiplied, then you would never need to add it again. Did they engineer a semi-sterile bacteria that is only able to multiply for them? Two, I would have thought that I would see more.

Does anybody else have a microscope where they can look at some?

In the end, it does not matter what it in it if it works. I suspect some kind of chemical or element that they found that could easily be duplicated if the secret got out. It could also be an oxidizer. I have no venom for the secrecy... they figured it out and the should get to profit from it.

OP
OP
dave57

dave57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol this is turning into a vibrant thread.. anyways just to let you guys know vibrant got rid of my gha despite all my attempts to remove it by other means. Vibrant is my tank saver and I’m happy to report. Vibrant didn’t kill my cheato neither my sps. Vibrant will always be in my arsenal of products I couldn’t believe my eyes of how much of an impact it did for my tank. I’m thankful for this product as every other suggestion, tip, product failed to achieve what vibrant did for me. And no I didn’t get paid or get sent a bottle of vibrant to say this. My wife came home one day and noticed my algae gone after 6 months trying every remedy in reefing history including flucanazole.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back